XLR Wiring - Momentary and Rocker Switch Together

Old 03-31-20, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
XLR Wiring - Momentary and Rocker Switch Together

Hello all!

I have been trying to wire a switch and it's beginning to give me a headache at this point haha. Here is what I am trying to do.

I am creating a talk-back box for use in my home studio for remote sessions. Basically this is what I am looking to do. I am looking to have a rocker switch as a master "mute" or "unmute" to pass signal and have a momentary switch to "mute" or "unmute" depending on whether it's pushed in or not.

I'd like the have the ability to leave the microphone "unmuted" with the rocker switch so I can talk through the mic without having to hold the momentary switch down. But then, if I flip the rocker switch the other way, the mic is muted unless I use the momentary switch. Is this possible? I currently have the momentary switch wired and it works perfectly but upon trying to wire in a rocker switch it seems I could only get it to "mute" or "unmute" if the momentary switch was held down.

EDIT*
I should also not that it has one XLR in and one XLR out.

Any help here would be great! Thanks and stay safe out there!

Last edited by Matt Lara; 03-31-20 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-20, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 741 Votes on 696 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are you working with a balanced signal ?
Is there phantom power on this line ?
Normally open or normally closed pushbutton ?

Old 03-31-20, 05:53 PM
J
Received 184 Votes on 164 Posts
You might need a center off momentary switch. That way it function like two switches. One position it over rides mute. The other position it over rides unmute.

Old 03-31-20, 06:31 PM
Thanks Pete!

Balanced signal yes, no phantom power. Normally closed push button (when pressed it opens or "unmutes".

@Joed, excuse my ignorance on the matter, makes sense reading it but I think I am going to draw up a diagram to figure this one out as I feel like I've tried every wiring scenario there is ha.

Old 03-31-20, 07:57 PM
J
Received 184 Votes on 164 Posts
One position would be normally closed in series the master and open to mute when master is on. The other position would be normally open in parallel with the master and close when the master muted/off/open.

Old 04-01-20, 12:08 PM
By any chance, if you have some time, would you mind drawing some colored lines on this photo to help me out with the wiring?

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-20, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
To mute the circuit you only need to supply a short across pins 2 and 3. The toggle switch does that.
The pushbutton switch opens that line momentarily while button is pressed to unmute the circuit.

Name:  XLR Wiring Daigram.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  29.6 KB

Old 04-01-20, 02:05 PM
I believe this is how I had it. If the momentary switch wasn't pushed in, it would be muted (obviously). Then if I had the momentary switch pushed in and I flipped the rocker switch, it killed all the signal entirely even if the momentary switch was pushed in.

I would like the rocker switch to open the circuit entirely whether the momentary switch is pushed in or not, then when flipped the other way, it closes the circuit but gives me the ability to push in the momentary switch to open the circuit by holding it in. If that makes sense...

I am super appreciative of the help here! My basic audio electronics class back in the day didn't get this far haha

Old 04-01-20, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Based on the lighted switch you are using.... I've given you the correct wiring.

You can use a switch to mute an audio circuit. You don't want to open an audio circuit.

Old 04-01-20, 09:15 PM
Brilliant! I will give this a try tomorrow and see how it goes, thanks a ton for the support and help, truly appreciated!

Old 04-04-20, 06:05 PM
@PJmax - massive thanks for the wiring diagram. It works EXACTLY how it's supposed to. Truly grateful. The only issue I am running into now is that are pops and clicks when either the rocker switch is on or the momentary switch is pushed in. Seems continuous and not random, it actually goes"tick tick tick tick tick tick tick" nonstop, really only noticeable at high pre-amp levels. Was wondering if I need to ground the rocker switch?

Thanks again big time for the help here!

Old 04-05-20, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
That sure sounds like there is phantom power on that audio line.

Old 04-05-20, 11:52 AM
No phantom, double checked! Found the issue, had an XLR plugged into another to extend it, and this cable was sitting in a basket of active power cables. Replaced it with the proper size and boom, no clicks or pops, works 100%. I am beyond grateful once again, hopefully this helps some other people who'd like to set up the same type of situation!!

Last edited by Matt Lara; 04-05-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Good job buddy...... Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  1.6 KB