60 Amp Sub Panel GE DEH-41267

Old 04-01-20, 06:19 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
60 Amp Sub Panel GE DEH-41267

Hi All
First Off, I hope everyone and their families are safe and sound and healthy

Lot of info here and very knowledgeable people just wanted to ask a couple of questions.
I am having a Shed installed for a Golf Simulator and i am running a 60 Amp Sub Panel the Shed would be detached from the house.
I have purchased a GE DEH-41267 sub panel
I have ran 4/3 from the main to the sub panel
From the main to the sub panel is 15 feet (I have not made any connections as of yet)
I have installed a ground rod next to the shed

I understand the neutral bar should NOT be bonded
Now my questions of course I hope no one minds
1. Should the ground bar be bonded
2. What is the extra lug on the Neutral side
3. Should I connect the Ground #6 to the ground bar or the ground lug along with the ground from the 4/3 wire

FYI there is no metal bar that connects the Neutral bar to the ground bar behind the Plastic or under the breakers.

Please Help

Thank you in advance
PS: please i apologize if these questions were asked before or kind of dumb questions for all you experts here

Attached Images  

Last edited by eblade21; 04-01-20 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-20, 05:59 AM
P
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
Neutral is isolated from ground in detached structures. You should need a ground bar kit and ground bar is bonded to panel. Need 2 ground rods 6ft apart on single #6 CU conductor. Question... what type wire is the 4/3 and how was it run between the house and shed?

Old 04-02-20, 06:46 AM
A
Received 26 Votes on 22 Posts
DEH-41267 is the number for the instructions: https://apps.geindustrial.com/publib...=DEH-41267.pdf
What you show looks like a GE TLM1212 model. http://apps.geindustrial.com/publibr...me=DET-582.pdf

You don't mention a disconnect which is needed in a detached structure with 6 or more circuits. That panel is designed so that you can install a main breaker in the upper right position.

Follow the first diagram: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-diagrams.html

1. Yes, grounding bar on right should be bonded to the case. Neutral on left should NOT be bonded to case.
2. Extra lug on neutral side does seem to be a waste as rarely used. It gives a large lug for a sub panel driven from this one.
3. Land the #6 wire to the grounding rod on the bar. Note the holes are supposed to be different sizes

Old 04-02-20, 06:49 AM
E
Hi great info and thank you so much

The 4/3 is Romex which is housed in 1 inch PVC conduit from the house to the shed

You are so right, as regards to the disconnect
what size would you recommend the feed is a 60 amp breaker

thank you for all your help

Old 04-02-20, 07:02 AM
P
Romex (NM-b) wire is not allowed outside even in conduit especially if the conduit is buried. Plus #6 Cu is only needed for 60A. Nothing wrong with #4 as long as it's the correct wire type.

The disconnect is needed if more than 6 breakers, not 6 or more, are used to cut power to all circuits.
Use at least a 60A breaker for the disconnect.

Last edited by pattenp; 04-02-20 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-02-20, 07:30 AM
E
Thank for all the schooling, I just want to make sure i know what I am talking about when the electrician comes here to connect the panel

Also thank you on the romex i will order #4 wire not in romex and run in conduit

Will this work for a disconnect

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-20, 07:34 AM
P
The 100A breaker is fine if it's listed for your panel.

Old 04-02-20, 01:31 PM
A
Are you using a licensed electrician or a handyman? Most electricians will supply their own equipment.

That main breaker does not look like what you need. The panel you have takes a standard 2 pole breaker to use as a main and then needs a hold-down kit. The kit might be THQLRK3CP for that panel but I am not sure - read the panel label and it should list it.

Other option is to return what you bought and get a panel with the main breaker already included. Most of the time cheaper as well.

Sorry for the mistype above where it should have been "more than 6" - I counted 7 in your picture and went off on a tangent.

Old 04-02-20, 01:45 PM
E
Hi, this is a licensed electrician which is a good friend.
Exactly what i did returned the panel and purchased the same panel with the 100 Amp Main all ready installed

Old 04-03-20, 12:43 PM
A
Even though same panel check to see that the neutral and ground bars are separately bonded so you can separate them. If not you need to purchase an additional ground bar. Look at the label as usually in the fine print. Sometimes GE keeps the same main part number but the guts are completely different (mod 1, mod 2, etc.).