Question about Hardwiring Range Hood

Old 04-04-20, 10:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about Hardwiring Range Hood

I am remodeling my kitchen and installed a receptacle for the range hood. The one I bought has a plug already connected. Unfortunately, it appears that I mounted the receptacle too low. Iím supposed to install the hood a minimum of 30Ē above the range, and Iím not sure that I can get it more than 28Ē. The instructions say that the hood can also be hardwired. I donít see how this would be done. Do I cut the plug off and strip the wires? That doesnít seem right to me, but Iíve never installed one before. Can the splices be in the chimney or do they get made in the electrical box? My thinking is that by eliminating the cover plate/receptacle and hardwiring, it would give me some extra room. As a last resort, I could raise the outlet. It will be a pain, because I have a glass backsplash. I donít want my hood to look weird because itís installed too low.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-20, 10:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 444 Votes on 408 Posts
Your hood should have instructions for hard wiring. If hard wiring the connections are usually made inside an electrical box inside the hood. The wiring does NOT run inside the exhaust ducting.

Old 04-04-20, 10:45 AM
C
The instruction manual doesnít say. It reads: ďThe hood comes with a grounded three prong plug that can either be direct wire or plugged into a 20 amp circuit.Ē

Old 04-04-20, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 756 Votes on 710 Posts
It's actually pretty rare to find a range hood with an attached cord.
Can you post a link to what you have there.

Old 04-04-20, 11:43 AM
C
This is a picture of the hood.

Old 04-04-20, 01:43 PM
Received 62 Votes on 53 Posts
That looks like an exhaust unit to be custom installed in the bottom of a cabinet. The receptacle should either be in that cabinet or an adjacent cabinet. I recently installed one and put the receptacle high in the cabinet to the left of the hood. Mine was actually a Broan replacement exhaust/light unit that we retrofitted into a custom wood range hood that mounted under the soffit. The most difficult part of mine was adapting a 6" round exhaust to the existing 3" X 10" rectangular duct.

Old 04-04-20, 02:29 PM
P
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
I don't think it's an under cabinet mount. It looks to me the kind that has a chase from the ceiling. I believe the wire is run within the chase. I think it's called a wall mount.

Old 04-04-20, 07:06 PM
C
Pattenp - yes, itís a wall mount model that goes to the ceiling.

Just a thought...is it possible to use a surface mount outlet? That would allow me to raise the receptacle without having to cut a new hole in the glass.

Old 04-05-20, 10:27 AM
P
I don't see why not use a surface mount outlet.

Old 04-05-20, 11:05 AM
Received 62 Votes on 53 Posts
yes, itís a wall mount model that goes to the ceiling.
A wall mount? You sure? I see gravity dampers that will only close if mounted on the ceiling or under a cabinet. Mine had the same type dampers.

Old 04-05-20, 12:18 PM
P
It's a wall mount stove hood, not a thru-the-wall vent. The kind you use with no cabinets above the stove that has a square chase to the ceiling.