Auto Control

Old 06-08-01, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recently purchased two socket type automatic light controls for my garage door side lights. The instructions say not to use two of these on a circuit (which I promptly ignored). These "electronic eyes" decrease power by 20 - 25% and this must be why they say don't use two on a circuit. I don't see how one could effect the other. If your power source is pigtailed and goes to each light separately, isn't this kinda like having two "mini-circuits" (for lack of a better word). If a dimmer is placed on a circuit, it doesn't decrease the voltage downstream (except for the lights obviously), why would these gadgets? You can see my problem, it's very impractical to have two garage lights on separate circuits just so I can use these things. Oh, by the way, they seem to be working fine. I didn't take a voltage reading at the 2nd light but like I said I'd like to hear the theory behind this first. Maybe it's O.K. as is.
Thanks,
Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-01, 04:36 PM
Handyone, can you give us the exact quote from the instructions?

Old 06-09-01, 07:44 AM
John,
The instructions don't say much. It does say "do not use this control with another light control or dimmer in the same circuit." It also says not to use a yellow "bug light" bulb, due to excessive heat, and use incandescent bulbs only.
It all sounds like they want to take precautions against voltage drop. Also when the photo cell activates, it will cause the bulb to blink under certain lighting conditions, until it is dark. This is why you need an incandescent bulb. Even with these notes tho, I still don't see any way possible one could affect the other if installed properly.
Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-13-01, 10:50 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

My two cents, it probably means not to install it as a series circuit but instead as a parallel circuit as you did. Also probably why your setup works.

Old 06-13-01, 11:30 AM
Guy
Visiting Guest
A bit like Bazooka said, I think they mean that you must not use one of these downstream from a dimmer that would be supplying IT, or have it power a light that then has a dimmer circuit. This is because you would effectively have a triac circuit feeding another triac circuit, while these circuits are designed to be fed by a clean sine wave power source. There is no problem however with having two or more of these operating independantly on the same branch circuit.
Also, the triac circuit is the reason why they specify an incancescant bulb only. A fluorescent tube or compact fluorescent bulb is an inductive load and triac circuits have to be designed differently to work with these.

[Edited by Guy on 06-13-01 at 02:36]