Swapped outlet now lights don't work

Old 04-08-20, 07:46 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Swapped outlet now lights don't work

Hey everybody, I am new here. I will try my best to explain my situation. I was told at inspection to put a GFCI in both bathrooms when I bought my house. So yesterday I decided to take on the task. The bathroom has 1 light switch and 1 regular outlet. The outlet consists of 2 black wires and a white wire as well as a ground wire. After wiring it up and turning on the breaker nothing was working - not even the light switch (which I didn't even mess with). I spent some time messing with this until I decided to do a little more research. So I hooked the old outlet back up, and now it works, but the light switch does not. I thought maybe I jacked up something in the light switch, so I then went and replaced that switch.

I have spent most my day today reading up on a lot of similar situations here, but just didn't find anything that was helping my scenario.

Thank you for your time in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-20, 08:25 AM
Received 63 Votes on 54 Posts
After installing a new GFCI receptacle the first thing to do after restoring power to the circuit is to reset the GFCI. You do not mention how you wired this device. Look at it again a little closer and look for the "Line" side and "Load" side of the device, it will be marked on the back. Your two blacks and one white wire should be connected on the "Line" side.

Old 04-08-20, 08:30 AM
J
Received 190 Votes on 168 Posts
Tell about the connections you had before and made to the new GFCI.
It seems odd to have two blacks and only one white. Look in the box for a loose white that came out when you pulled the receptacle.

Old 04-08-20, 08:32 AM
C
I appreciate the quick response. I was all in my head when trying to convey my message here. I will definitely check where I have the wires right now. I do believe I have 2 black wires on the 2 brass screws and white coming out of one of the silver screws. What I am confused with, is why changing my outlet caused my lights to not work now.

Old 04-08-20, 08:35 AM
C
@joed I did only have 3 wires connected when pulling it out. I will look in and see if I see anything else. I do recall seeing a few wires (wired together) with a red wire. I believe the white wire coming out of that is the white wire I am referring to.

Old 04-08-20, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 756 Votes on 710 Posts
Was/is that receptacle controlled by a switch ?
There should not be a white wire attached to a red wire unless that receptacle was switched.

Old 04-08-20, 01:27 PM
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Hi, post some pics of the box ,GFCI and other connections in the box , was the original device a receptacle/switch?
Geo

Old 04-09-20, 07:42 AM
C
So I took another look at it yesterday and apparently I had 1 of the black wires on the load side. When I checked for volts only 1 black wire was hot. So in my head I assumed it was the only one to go in the line side. I swapped to have both black in the line, and the white going from the load. That fixed it. However, I tried to wire it exactly like that through the GFCI and the light wouldn't come on. I am not sure if I bought a bad outlet or what.

I will have to take some pictures inside to help show it off. There is a red wire attached to some white wires, but my outlet works without the switch being on. Originally I thought maybe one of the outlets was switch controlled, but I read where you had to have a tab missing from the outlet for that to be the case. That outlet has the tab in place.

Old 04-09-20, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 756 Votes on 710 Posts
If the entire receptacle was switched.... the tab would bot be removed.

I swapped to have both black in the line, and the white going from the load.
You should have both black wires going to the LINE hot terminal.
You should have the white wire going to the LINE neutral terminal.

The LOAD terminals were taped off and should have been left that way.

Old 04-09-20, 10:32 AM
C
Right, this receptacle wasn't "fully" switched. I wasn't aware if maybe one of the receptacles was actually switched. I still cant figure out why when I wire the GFCI up (with blacks on line) and (white on load) the light switch doesn't power on the lights.