Breaker box wires (new one for me)

Old 04-09-20, 08:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker box wires (new one for me)

I bought a trailer on a lot to fix and rent out I own a small handyman bizz so I know a little about alot but this is my question... Their is a breaker box on a 4*4 outside under the meter 3 wires going in but inside there are 4 wires ground and neutral going to one bar and then the two hots but I'm not here to ask about the hots. So in the box outside the ground and neutral is on the same bar but inside the trailer in the breaker box the netural is going to one bar and the ground to another they are not touching each other why is the one in the house different then the one outside and 2. Can I repull just three wires instead of 4. It's really old and oxidizing aluminum I want to run new copper but I would like to just run three wire instead of 4 plz help..

Last edited by Tj post; 04-09-20 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Miss spelling

Popular Reply

04-09-20, 08:08 PM
lambition
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
why is the one in the house different then the one outside
The box outside is your main disconnect/breaker panel. This is the only place neutral and ground should be bonded. Anything beyond that is sub-panels and neutral and ground must be separated.

Can I repull just three wires instead of 4
No. You must have 4 conductors. One way to avoid that is if you use metallic conduit. Then, this conduit can be used as a ground conductor.

Check sub panel diagram below.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-diagrams.html

Old 04-09-20, 08:08 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
why is the one in the house different then the one outside
The box outside is your main disconnect/breaker panel. This is the only place neutral and ground should be bonded. Anything beyond that is sub-panels and neutral and ground must be separated.

Can I repull just three wires instead of 4
No. You must have 4 conductors. One way to avoid that is if you use metallic conduit. Then, this conduit can be used as a ground conductor.

Check sub panel diagram below.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-diagrams.html

CasualJoe, joed voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: