Convert wired controller to wireless

Old 04-12-20, 09:52 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Convert wired controller to wireless

I have a small 110v electric winch that I use to load a motorcycle into a trailer. It has a wired control that changes the direction of the winch motor. The wired control is not long enough to reach the bike so I have to have someone inside the trailer operate the winch while I guide the bike inside. I could replace the cable with a longer one, but the controller is large and bulky and would be hard to operate and guide the bike at the same time. I would like to convert the wired controller to wireless. I've searched for wireless remotes, but I really don't know exactly what to look for. I would need one that would mimic the wired controller. It has two buttons, one for in and one for out. It has four wires. Can someone suggest the type of remote I should be looking for and a source if you know it. I found several that offer on/off controls, but I don't know if they would be suitable for my needs.

Mike

Old 04-12-20, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are many two channel wireless remote kits available. The link below is just one I've seen.
The kit in the link has relays to control 10A loads.

Keep in mind that a wired control is 100% safe and secure. A wireless system is not as secure.

Remote kit

Drangd voted this post useful.
Old 04-12-20, 10:44 AM
T
Thanks for the info. The two channel type remotes are what I should look for. When you mention the wireless system is not secure, do you mean from intruders or that wireless remotes are subject to failures?

Mike

Old 04-12-20, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
The wireless receiver is subject to interference from outside sources.
A better system would be more immune but it's hard to know what constitutes a better system.

Yes.... you need two channels...... up and down.... and you need momentary operation.

txtinman voted this post useful.
Old 04-13-20, 02:05 PM
T
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
The first thing to find out is how the wired controller operates. Does it just close (or open?) a circuit? If so, you can do what you want, but will need to have the receiver fire relays with the appropriate current rating.

The transmitter would also need to continue to transmit as long as a button is depressed. Alarm equipment is not allowed to transmit continuously (This may have changed; I retired long ago).

Old 04-24-20, 07:48 AM
T
Thanks for your reply. The info on relays I had not thought of.

Old 04-24-20, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
The kit I linked to has the relays on the board...... most do.

We'd need to see your control switch and the internal wiring.
A link to the winch would be helpful,

Old 04-27-20, 11:48 AM
T
Wiring photos and link to winch

Link to winch on Harbor Freight

The winch controller has four wires, black, white, red, and brown. The red and brown are connected to the cable-out button. My picture shows red and black. I didn't get the line drawn correctly. The black and white wires are attached to the cable-in button. I don't know what the object attached to the circuit board is.

Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: