Peltier & Computer Fan setup

Old 04-14-20, 02:22 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peltier & Computer Fan setup

Hello, I've been looking for a way to utilize a Peltier module and a computer fan to heat or cool as needed. I was wondering what components are needed to control the temperature (hot or cold) and the air speed. This unit needs to be plugged into a residential power receptacle. I need help with the wiring diagram and parts list please.

Old 04-14-20, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What is it you are trying to heat or cool ?
A Peltier module is not terribly energy efficient and requires a fairly large power supply to run it.

The Peltier module has a front and back. One side gets cold and the other side gets hot. If you were using it inside say a beverage cooler...... there would only be a fan on the outside. You wouldn't use the module in free air to supply A/C or heating.

Old 04-14-20, 04:46 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
What do you intend to do with your homemade heater/cooler?

Old 04-15-20, 07:19 AM
H
Hi there guys, I'm trying to make a tiny dehumidifier, the air can condense on the cold heat sink - and the heat can escape from the other side, when I saw the Peltier module I thought that could be the answer. Are there more energy efficient ways to accomplish this?

~ Heelaque.

Old 04-15-20, 08:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Just order one online. They are about $30.

I have both compressor and peltier dehumidifiers. The peltier ones are more effective in tropical climates where temperatures and humidity levels are higher. Here in NC the peltier is almost useless as it really doesn't do much until the relative humidity is above 60% and it's not capable of bringing it down to 50% RH at temperatures below 75f.

Old 04-15-20, 01:28 PM
H
Thank you for the information so far Pilot Dane, I have been able to find peltier modules online however I don't know how to connect one up into a working circuit and then plug it into my home's outlet. Are there resisters or capacitors needed? where would the switch go? how do I control/fine-tune its output. What resources are available to help me work this out please?

~ Heelaque.

Old 04-15-20, 03:36 PM
P
Group Moderator
You are over complicating things. You are not getting components and there isn't anything to assemble or "hook up". Just order a cheap dehumidifier and plug it in. Amazon, Walmart, Target and other sites have many to choose from. The prices vary according to their capacity.

Be warned that Peltier dehumidifiers don't work that well and how well they work is very dependent on the room temperature and humidity. I have this dehumidifier and it can get the humidity down to 60% reasonably well but it's performance really drops off below that. So, if you have a room that's like 70 or 80% humidity it will certainly help but it won't be able to dry the air anywhere near as well as a compressor style dehumidifier.

Old 04-16-20, 07:36 AM
H
I'm so sorry that you got the impression I was over complicating things, and I know you're doing your best to help but it's just that the true scope of the project I have in mind can't be discussed right now for various reasons. I can honestly assure you that other options have been considered but the Peltier Module appears to be the only way moving forward. To that end, what I need to accomplish includes a Peltier module, two 4-inch(ish) diameter heating/cooling sinks and a 4-inch(ish) computer fan to pull the air through. That's the base 'model' but a wish-list item would be to have some type of control over heating/cooling (the Peltier Module) and the airflow (the Fan). I am by no means an electronics wiz - I can pretty much just solder at this point but with the right direction I think I can pull this off. Thank you Pilot Dane for the help and suggestions you have provided so far, I just need some direction and or help with this please.

Kindest regards,
~ Heelaque.

Old 04-16-20, 08:47 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
There is a lot more than just soldering to put a unit together.
You would need to make/design a circuit board so unless you are an electronics hobbyist, this will be a near impossible task for a newbie.
You could breadboard it but that is normally just used for design and testing and then you design and etch a circuit board. The control would involve resistors, capacitors, integrated circuits etc.

If you want to proceed you will have to Google "Peltier cells" so you get more basic knowledge about them and then Google "Peltier control boards". There is a possibility that you can find a control board as an item.

If it was me I would probably buy a cheap Peltier dehumidifier. Then disassemble it and modify the parts to suit my needs.

Old 04-16-20, 10:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
If you are not into electronics then designing a control system is probably beyond your ability at this point. I suggest purchasing a Arduino kit or electronics teaching kit. With the right kit you can learn much of what you will need.

Old 04-16-20, 10:20 AM
H
Hello Manden, thank you for the practical advise and to be honest if this project is beyond my means (at a fundamental level) then I'm not beyond cannibalizing an existing product to get what I need - rather than applying for and then attending a 4 year degree just to do this!

Thank you to everyone who contributed. (how often can you say that in an online forum)
~ Heelaque

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: