Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Main panel ground wire connected to cold water line disconnected

Old 04-15-20, 09:10 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all ,

I have a question about my main panel ground. Main panel (exterior which feeds an interior sub panel) ground was connected to a cold water line outside, a hose spigot. It has become disconnected. Should I just reconnect it to the spigot or add a ground rod and connect the spigot and panel to the rod?

it is an old 1959 built home that has been updated through the years, in Miami FL.

Old 04-15-20, 11:36 AM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Run a brand new #4 copper wire from the panel neutral to metal cold water pipe exiting underground, attached within 5' of where the pipe exits (if such a pipe exists). Run a #6 copper wire from the panel neutral to an 8' ground rod driven all the way down and within a few feet (best within a few inches) of the foundation.

If the pipe as described deos not exist then drive a second ground rod a little over 6' from the first and use a #6 copper wire to connect the two rods.

The existing ground wire might have grounded the plumbing system to the electrical system but never qualified for grounding the electrical system to the exiting water pipe. More preciisely it was not properly attached because simply wrapping it around the spigot or holding it in place using one of the screws holding the spigot on the wall is not a good enough connection. The existing wire would have properly grounded the contiguous metal parts of the water system to the electrical system if it were clamped onto the pipe behind the spigot.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-15-20 at 11:54 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: