Does this cable need conduit around it.

Old 04-20-20, 06:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does this cable need conduit around it.

Please look at the picture and tell me if the black cable needs conduit around it.

This is a continuation of my last post with a question about new information.

I have run the cable though from beneath the kitchen sink, up through the exterior wall, and through the attic. With a vaulted ceiling, that was difficult. The big problem is that the cabinets and counter top are permanently installed up against the exterior wall. The sink is directly beneath a window. The cable comes down between the vertical 2x4s next to the sink. I cannot get the cable between the back of the counter/drawer unit and the wall. So, I removed the drawers and drilled a hole through both the back of the counter/drawer unit and the dry wall of the exterior wall. The cable enters the counter/drawer unit from the wall. From there, there is a hole to the area beneath the sink. The heater will be mounted there.

I will post a picture of the cable inside the counter top/drawer unit. That cable will not normally be touched by anything. But it CAN be touched if the drawer is stuffed to the point of being overfull. Do I need to get some flexible conduit and run the cable through that. If so, I can solidly attach it to the side going into the sink area, but the part exiting into the wall will be difficult.
I performed the steps for an attachment and will see if this works when the question is submitted.
Edit after post: From what I can see this looks good, meaning the post and picture. If more pictures are needed I can do that.
Edit again: When the top drawer is slid in all the way, the back does not touch the cable. There is clearance.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bkelly13; 04-20-20 at 07:01 PM. Reason: more information
Old 04-20-20, 07:08 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
Doesn't need conduit, but needs some sort of protection so the drawer doesn't bash into it when closed.

Old 04-20-20, 08:02 PM
B
I did think about that. I removed the drawer below, closed the top drawer, and reached in to the back of the top drawer. When pushed in all the way there is clearance between the drawer and the cable. They do not touch. I will monitor this for a while for additional opinions, but that indicates that no conduit is required.

Would it be a good idea to find some type of thin rubber sheeting and wrap it about the cable where to goes through the two holes. There should never be any movement, but,..., being careful.
Thank you for your time.

Old 04-20-20, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
That cable needs to be fastened to the cabinet so that it cannot move.

Old 04-20-20, 09:31 PM
B
Pjmax: That cable needs to be fastened to the cabinet so that it cannot move.

Hmmm. Not sure what to think. The cable is three strands of 8 gauge copper. Significantly stiffer than any extension cord I have ever used. The length from one hole to the other is about 12 inches. Its not exactly flapping in the breeze. The cable is further back than the back of the drawers. I have reached in and felt the clearance with the top drawer all the way in.

The back of the cabinet where the cable exits the wall is first, a thin veneer, then dry wall. On the side where to goes to the space under the sink the cabinet is made is a substantial strength member, but there is a thin veneer on both sides.

What should be done to made sure it does not move?

Old 04-20-20, 09:34 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
If the drawer pushes on the cable then it should be strapped down to hold it to back away from the drawer.

Old 04-21-20, 10:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
I agree that it doesn't need additional protection. It's not likely to be touched or damaged in its current location.

If it were in my house, I would probably just leave it as-is. Being a large cable, it's not going to be flexed easily.
But if you do want to secure it, I would use a small piece of 1x3 or 2x4 behind it. Screw the wood to the back of the cabinet (drill a pilot hole to not split the wood), then use a cable clamp screwed to the piece of wood.

Basically you're just making it so the cable can't be moved or flexed easily, as NM cable isn't meant to be continually flexed like an extension cord type of cable.

Old 04-22-20, 10:30 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
The cable is three strands of 8 gauge copper.
Three strands of #8 copper would be 8-3 NM-B cable which is more round. Looks more like a flat cable, perhaps 8-2 W/G (#10 Grd). What is this cable for?

Old 04-22-20, 05:56 PM
B
cable type and purpose

Now that you mention it, the two conductors look a bit larger than the ground wire. Printed on the cable is
NM-B 8-2 Its been run from the kitchen and poked through a small hole in the firewall to the garage. I will craw up in the garage attic tonight and get it over to the panel. The garage is finished with insulation above the ceiling dry wall. Really thick stuff.

This is for an electric how water heater. It goes under the sink and will provide, essentially, instant hot water. It has a temperature setting and uses only the power it needs. 240 volt 40 amp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: