Romex in the furnace flue chase

Old 06-09-01, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need to run a new circuit to my attic for a new whole house fan. Can I run the cable up the chase containing the furnace flue? The chase is pretty big, and I can keep the cable more than a foot from the flue. There are currently cables running horizontally through the chase, but none running vertically.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-01, 12:57 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
John you will need to be more specific. I am of the understanding that you are not inside the flue itself but are in the area of the outside of the flue that is framed in. If you are talking of running in the chase area that is not considered to carry air flow in a controlled manner such as a heat duct etc. then yes you can.

The minimum construction required for a masonary flue requires so much masonry around that flue itself that the surface of the outside area of that flue in the framed in area is no more than warm to the touch under normal circumstances. If that area gets any hotter than that you would be in violation of the building Code. Romex can go anywhere the wood is exposed to the outide surface of that flue.

The minimum construction required for a double or triple liner metal flue would be the same.

Just ensure that no environmental or gas type air flow is designed to use that space as a flue to exhaust gas [inside the flue exhausted to the air outside] or inside a plenum type area for envoronmental air flow [such as heat ducts or cold air ducts].

If temperature is not a problem to wood it would not be a problem to a nonmetallic sheathed cable.

Hope this helps

Wg

Old 06-09-01, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Wg. That is exactly what I was after. This is a double-walled combustion gas flue. All the combustion gasses run inside the flue, and the flue is surrounded by air and inside a framed chase.

The chase is merely there to provide a way for the flue to get from the furnace and hot water heater in the basement to the roof. The flue itself is held a couple of inches away from any wood. My cable would be about a foot from the flue, even farther away than much of the the wood framing. The wood framing is covered on the outside by drywall (i.e., the wall of my bedroom), since these are regular studs.

Old 06-09-01, 05:27 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
Go for broke John yar doing great. No violations that I know of.

Wg