Burnt Neutral

Old 04-21-20, 03:40 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnt Neutral

Need to reconnect a burnt neutral to panel.

Power went off on a GFCI circuit. GFCI receptacle would not reset. (Also noticed that it was a 20 amp GFI receptacle on a 15 amp breaker.) Went to replace GFCI with a new one and could not get it working. Testing made it appear that I had an open neutral. Traced back to breaker and found out that the neutral had been doubled up on a screw on the neutral bus bar and had burned or melted. (Thought you were only supposed to have one neutral wire per screw). Neutral was no longer even attached. Went to fix and realized that the neutral bar had no room as it is filled (with neutrals). (Ground bar has at least one open spot). Now, way past my pay-grade of handy grandpa. Time to call in a pro but want to figure out what direction I should go for a low budget solution. I'm just north of Atlanta in Fulton County.

I thought about: Donít know if a neutral bar add-on extension can be added on to an older panel or how expensive that would be. Or maybe move a circuit to sub-panel tandem circuit to open up some room. Also, do I need to have electrician double-check the neutral and the screw torque that the burnt neutral was originally piggy-backed with. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Here is a link to pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bxkqitsuq...4X-fFdvSa?dl=0

Old 04-21-20, 04:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Based on your pictures...... that looks like a sub panel which means there would be another panel outside with the main breaker in it. It also looks like the two bars on either side of the breakers are connected together. That would mean only white wires should be in those two bars and there should have been an additional bar added for all the grounds including the ground coming from the main panel.

The sub panel is correctly wired with four wires and a separate ground bar.

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  119.4 KB

Old 04-21-20, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
It looks like the burned neutral may have been for a multi wire branch circuit and could have carried up to twice what is should have.

Old 04-21-20, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
That's what I though but I couldn't find any unaccounted for three wire cables.

Old 04-21-20, 04:59 PM
P
Outside is the main shutoff. And inside are the two panels. The original large one in the pictures and then an additional one was added when an area was finished off. The bar on the left is completely filled which I guess is the reason they doubled up on one. The bar on the right looks to have only grounds going into it.

Old 04-21-20, 05:39 PM
P
Am I correct that the burnt neutral should not be doubled up with another one or is that ok to do?

Old 04-21-20, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Neutrals should one per hole. No doubles.

Old 04-21-20, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
I'm guessing the screw that is on the wire was not tight creating a loose connection. I would check all the screws for tightness.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 04-21-20, 09:35 PM
P
Do you have any suggestions for my problem of not having enough space on the neutral bar?

Old 04-22-20, 11:07 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Do you have any suggestions for my problem of not having enough space on the neutral bar?
You will have plenty of neutral spaces once you remove all the ground wires from the right side neutral bus and Move all those ground wires to a proper ground bar. That large panel is also a subpanel and wasn't installed correctly. You may want to get a qualified electrician to help you with this.

Old 04-22-20, 01:52 PM
P
Thanks so much for all your input!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: