New 3-way switch not working...

Old 04-23-20, 04:56 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New 3-way switch not working...

I have replaced all the light switches in my house from a brown to a white. The last set of switches where two 3-way switches. I replaced them exactly how the lights were set up and now the lights do not turn off. Help!!!

1st switch - black (Common), red, white
2nd switch - red (common), red, white

Are the new light switches I bought broken?

Also next to the 2nd switch is a simple light switch that also appears to now not be working. Used to turn on and off an outlet. This too appears to remain on now.

Makes me think that I may have bought a few bad switches or it is just me.

Last edited by Natalie Ryker; 04-23-20 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-23-20, 05:49 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
It is highly unlikely that several new switches are faulty from the factory (although possible).

The biggest mistake that people make when replacing 3 way switches is not matching the wires that come off the common screw from the old to the new switch. I don't mean the position of the screw. You have to make note of what wire came off the old switch common screw (usually a dark colored screw) and make sure that wire goes to the 'common' screw of the new switch. Be sure you put that wire to the common of the new switch by looking at the directions with the switch or again, it will be a different color than the other two screws on the switch. But it may not be in the same position as the old switch.

Also, be sure that you did in fact purchase 3 way switches. I have gone on calls where a person tried to replace a 3 way with a single pole. They just counted the screws on the new switch but they counted the ground screw as one of the three screws. Be sure that none of the new switches has imprinted on the switch itself "on" or "off" as this will be a single pole switch and not a 3 way.

Again, the main reason most times that the present set up does not work correctly when it did prior to replacing switches is the fact that the wires were not placed on the proper screws as the previous setup was.

You should always take pictures and make note prior to taking off the old switches. Even using a bit of masking tape, write on the tape and place the tape on each wire if need be.

Old 04-23-20, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,335 Votes on 1,234 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Also next to the 2nd switch is a simple light switch that also appears to now not be working. Used to turn on and off an outlet. This too appears to remain on now.
A defective 3w light switch would not cause this problem.
It sounds like the wiring got mixed up at these two switches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: