Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

chronic unbalanced load on Whirlpool Cabrio top load washer

Old 04-23-20, 09:07 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The house I just moved into has a Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8800YC

The previous owner told me it had an issue with constant Unbalanced Loads, which indeed it does. It never completes a spin cycle, always gives an error. I have done two things to diagnose it: 1) Just like my old washer, the basket returns to center easily when you push it laterally, so I'm guessing the springs that center the basket are still in place. 2) Unlike my old washer, which spins easily and freely when I manually spin it, this whirlpool basket has obvious friction keep it from spinning easily, and it makes a noise to boot. The noise is not soft such as you might get from having some clothes stuck between the basket and the washer housing, it is more of a light grinding sound that might be bad bearings or I suppose something metallic running up against the underside of the basket. No idea really. When I spin it and let go it immediately stops whereas my old washer will keep spinning silently for a few seconds when I spin it and let go.

I'm a long-time DIY'r however have never disassembled a washer before and was unable to fund instructions on the net, or else I would have taken it apart for further inspection. Figured I would post here first and see what you all have to say. Thanks for any advice!
John

Old 04-23-20, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
OH the fun with that washer. There is a kit to replace the bearings. Very common problem, back when I still worked had replaced many. When you take apart if you can't remove one of the bearings the tub will have to be replaced. Have had the where basket will not come out of tub than both basket and tub has to be replaced.
bearing replacement took me about a hour but had a lot of practice. I also had the tools to do job. special tools are not necessary but helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: