220 volt wiring?

Old 06-09-01, 08:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am tring to wire a 220v line for a window air conditioner. Here is my delemma. i referred to a book and it eplianed that i can use 10/2 with a ground. Now a repair man said that this may shock me if i do it this way.He claims that i sould use 10/3 wire with a ground. i dont have a problem switching the cable but, what do i do with the extra wire? the receptical only has 3 connections but 4 wires with the 10/3 cable. red/white/black and copper.Who is right and if it is the 10/3 cable what do i do with the extra wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-01, 09:30 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
If the air conditioner is 220 and only has a 3 wire plug on the cord you would use 10-2 with ground.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-09-01, 09:45 PM
Visiting Guest
so i dont need to worry about getting shocked because it will still be grounded right!

Old 06-10-01, 06:21 PM
resqcapt19
Visiting Guest
Correct. The air conditioner in question in a 220 volt load. It does not have any 120 volt componets so a neutral is not used. It only uses the 2 hots and the grounding conductor.
Don(resqcapt19)

Old 06-20-02, 01:21 PM
TomBrooklyn
Visiting Guest
Connect Ground To Neutral Bar? Not?

If running a three wire armored cable to a 22OV receptical which contains the typical black, red, and white wires, the red and black go to the two power connections.

1) There is no prefered polarity for these, correct?

2) Should the white (normally neutral) wire be connected to the ground on the receptical and then tied to the ground bar (not the neutral bar) in the panel/subpanel?

3) Although the receptical would work, is it a mistake to connect the white neutral wire from the ground on the receptical to the neutral bar in the panel?

4) Armored cable comes with a skinny bare aluminum wire in it along with the insulated conductors. Is it adequate to connect this little wire to the ground contact on the receptical. If so, it it adequate for all amperages outlets, 20A, 30A, 40A, 50A, 60A etc.?

P.S. Do most people recommend using 10ga. for an air conditioner circuit, even if the unit will be no bigger than say 18,000 BTU? A modern 220V air conditioner doesn't pull anywhere near 20 amps until it gets up to around 35, 000 BTU. http://www.ctctheinsider.com/quietma...uty_specs.html 12 gauge is good for 20 amps.