Proper Wire, conduit & breakers

Old 05-02-20, 08:20 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 45 Posts
Proper Wire, conduit & breakers

I am about to embark on a sizable electrical project. I have just bought 1 new storage building & a porch/gazebo. I have an existing well pump to wire.... as well as an "old shop" to re-wire... correctly.
Using the sub panel in this thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...e-conduit.html

See attached drawing.

1) I am going to run one conduit out of this sub with wiring for all locations:

A) What conduit should I be using from sub to point "A" (underground junction box) 3 wires in this section
B) from junction box to pump, I'm guessing just 3/4" conduit - 1 wire in this section
C) from point "A" junction box to "old Shop" - 1 wire in this section going to another 100 amp sub panel.
D) from point "A" junction box to storage shed & gazebo/porch - 1 wire in this section

For clarification. There will be one continuous line from the sub to each location. There will not be any spliced wires. They will simply be rerouted from "Point A" junction box to each location.
Additionally for clarification, although I am installing 2 -220 outlets in this "old shop", they will seldom ... if ever... be used. But I want to put them there in case of future needs.

2) what size breaker & wire should I use from the sub panel to each location:

A) I currently have an 80 amp breaker already installed in the existing sub for the "old shop". But what wire should I run to the "old shop"
B) breaker & wire size from sub to well pump
C) breaker & wire size from sub to storage shed & porch.

I cant get the PDF file removed from this thread. Can one of the mods remove the PDF & leave the Jpeg please

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Electrical drawing 1.pdf (21.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 05-03-20, 06:02 AM
T
Received 47 Votes on 46 Posts
I think the underground junction box may be an issue. Can it be brought up at the well? And then distributed from there?

Old 05-03-20, 06:36 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
My goal here is to do whatever needs to be done. I want to lean all I can about this & I want to try my best to do it right. But, the reason for the junction box in its current state is due to a previous thread that I linked in my first post here. The reference was to an "underground junction box". Additionally, I'd prefer to have as much of this underground as possible. Doesn't have to be, but its kinda the way I planned it. For example. I currently have electricity to the "old shop", that was here when I bought the place 3 years ago. That system consists of a run of romex over head running through the trees etc. In short, if I need to put the junction box above ground, I will. I am simply asking for advice from experienced electricians here who will assist me in buying the right materials needed & finish this project correctly &/or per code, so it will be right. In the end, no one will know its here but me. But my interest is in doing this right & as equally important, learning.

If I need to bring this above ground at the pump, I will.

I appreciate your input.

Old 05-03-20, 06:46 AM
T
Better question is why do a junction just 25 away from the house? What is the downside of running 3 pvc conduits from the house box?

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-03-20, 06:50 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
I failed to mention in my initial post & diagram that in the storage shed, I am going to put an additional sub panel in there to have different circuits. I'm going to move some freezers & refrigerators to the storage shed. My though is to put two appliances on one 20 amp breaker. One dedicated 20 amp breaker for a 7500 BTU heat/AC window unit. Other breakers will divide extra outlets, lights & ceiling fan. I'm not overly concerned about extra cost for "over-doing it".

Old 05-03-20, 06:58 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Telecom, I really do appreciate your questions.

Better question is why do a junction just 25’ away from the house? What is the downside of running 3 pvc conduits from the house box?

Its going to be less hassle, I think. I'll have to obviously set up & run 3 separate runs of conduit. Pull 3 runs of lines etc. I dont know, maybe in the end it wont be as much of a hassle as I think. I just figured coming off the sub with one run of conduit & pull all three lines out to one location, then to each location would be the simplest.

Again, all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 05-03-20, 09:23 AM
T
Yeah, I agree that the basic architecture is important. I just did some 230 of complex trenching to 22 deep in my back yard.
here is my take: PVC conduit is cheap. Digging can be expensive. Copper can be expensive, but there is an online supplier of republic THWN that is around 1/2 price. Rework is very expensive.
Any kind of box install is very easy inside, fairly easy outside wall, pretty hard standalone above grade, and very hard sub grade, and near impossible underwater😄

ps: not sure what ur house wall is made of. Running larger conduit thru cement walls will be a challenge without the right tools. Also, pulling many wires requires more force in a single larger conduit, vs a few smaller ones.

Old 05-03-20, 09:49 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
FYI, the sub panel is already in place & wired (refer to the link in my first post). I just need to add the correct breakers & get the correct wire for each application & run it through the correct conduit.

Old 05-03-20, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but you can only have one feed to the outbuilding. If more circuits are needed you would pull a feeder and set a panel.

Old 05-03-20, 02:59 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
I didnt really know that, so I learned something & I appreciate it... but to clarify, I am only running one feed to each point.
From the sub panel at the house:
1 feed to the well pump,
1 to the "old shop" then connect into another sub panel for it,
and 1 to the storage shed & connect into another sub panel there.

​​​​​​​Thanks for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: