Welder and Walloven on same circuit?

Old 05-04-20, 09:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welder and Walloven on same circuit?

Backstory: I purchased a home last summer and am renovating part og the basement. As part of the renovation, I plan on installing a small kitchen with an in-wall oven. I've ran 6/3 cable just to make sure I have may bases covered up to 50 amps if required since I didn't know (and still don't) what oven I'd get. Additionaly, I'd like to add provisions for a welder (up to 50 amps). My basement workshop already has a subpanel fed by a 60amp dual pole breaker from my main panel in the garage (not sure what the feeder wire is but it's way thicker than the 6/3 I just ran). The main garage panel 150 amps and only is only half full of stuff. The subpanel has spaces for only 12 circuts (cannot tandem up CBs in the sub). 9 of the 12 spaces are used for various 15 and 20 amp curcuits for plugs and lights in the workshop and half of the basement.

Question: Can I run a 50 amp circuit with a NEMA 6-50 plug for the welder and tie in the wall oven off of that? I had an electrician over who was going to install the circuit for me who said as long as I didn't run the welder the same time as the over it should be fine. He never called me back after he came over and looked at the work site so here I am.

The Plan: Run a 6/3 cable to a 6-50 NEMA receptical (both hots and a the ground to the receptical)...continue the 6/3 cable to a smaller supanel that houses a 40amp dual pole that feeds the oven (with 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground). Most GE wall ovens seem to recommend a minimum 40 amp circuit. This way the oven is protected by it's own 40 amp and the NEMA 6-50 will be protected by the 50 amp. I thought about having a switch which would mechanically isolate one line or the other so both could not be used at the same time but can't find such a switch. I suppose I could just turn off the 40amp breaker when I'm going to run the welder.

Thanks for any help!

Stay corona free!

Old 05-04-20, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Each appliance should have its own circuit. You would also find that splicing #6 wire can be difficult except in large boxes.

I would suggest adding another sub panel next to the existing one for more spaces, replace the sub panel and installing a larger one, or run new circuits from the main panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: