Exterior Pond Aerator GFCI

Old 05-05-20, 05:48 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior Pond Aerator GFCI

I have a small pond (1/4 acre) next to the house. There was a post with a 110 GFCI outlet that I use to power the aerator. It has itís own 20 amp breaker.

Last fall, the GFCI started tripping after running for a few hours. To eliminate the source, I started trying different things. First I ran an extension cord from a GFCI outlet on the house and that GFCI never tripped. So I decided the aerator is not the source.

I replaced the outlet, still trips. I dug a trench from the post to the house and replaced everything. New outdoor cover, box, outlet, ran conduit and wire back to the house, still trips. Part of the basement is finished or I would have replaced the wire all the way to the breaker box but I canít imagine the wiring on a 15 year old house being the problem inside the house.

Not sure what to do next.

Old 05-05-20, 06:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
A GFCI should not trip for a fault upstream so everything upstream like the house's wiring and the buried wire should not be the problem.

How long did you try your aerator on the extension cord?

Did you try having the GFCI energized but nothing plugged in to see if it trips on it's own?

Old 05-05-20, 06:35 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I ran the aerator on the extension cord for the good part of a month since the weather was nice and no rain.

I have not tried unplugging the aerator to see if it trips on its own.

Old 05-05-20, 06:43 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Check the amperage draw on the aerator. Could be clogged with trash.

Old 05-05-20, 08:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
A high amp draw will not trip the gfi.

Old 05-05-20, 12:04 PM
P
Received 125 Votes on 99 Posts
The house gfci may be a little less sensitive than the others. The gfci trips on difference of current going out vs coming back so there is a current leakage problem down stream from the gfci outlet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: