Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Code question regarding drilling a small hole in an electric junction box

Old 05-05-20, 07:12 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I'd like to mount the side of a metal junction box I currently have to a stud. The only mounting holes currently in the junction box are in the bottom of the box- there are none on its sides. It would be easy enough to simply drill a side hole(s) through the junction box through which I could then mount it to the stud. Shouldn't make any difference in my opinion if the bottom or side of box is mounted to a stud however I'm wondering if it would be against any kind of electric code to drill extra holes in the box to achieve this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-20, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
It looks like yes and no.
Yes..... using side holes to mount is ok.
No..... since mounting holes made in the field shall be approved.

314.23 (B)(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a fastening means, shall secure boxes by using brackets on the outside of the enclosure, or by using mounting holes in the back or in a single side of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior within 6 mm (1∕4 in.) of the back or ends of the enclosure. Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using approved means to avoid abrasion of conductor insulation. Mounting holes made in the field shall be approved.

They make a box designed to be side mounted...... 1 gang smart box.

Old 05-06-20, 04:26 AM
A
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Drilling a hole in any box may not be a good idea. One thing you always have to be concerned with - #1 will it be inspected and what will the inspector say about it. #2 if there was ever an issue as in a fire that came from this box and you made a claim to your home owners insurance will they honor it because the box was modified.

An instructor said to me one day about drilling a hole into any box or a screw into a plastic box
"It compromises the integrity of the box. It is no longer UL approved once any hole is drilled in the box."

Try one of these boxes.

Old 05-06-20, 10:15 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. I know there are other boxes I could get just happened to have one on hand already and from a practical standpoint obviously no different if a screw or nail goes through a hole in the bottoms of a box or the side. Physically is the same.

Old 05-06-20, 10:15 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
Pete - I don't understand your answer. From my reading of that section, it sounds like drilling your own hole and using a screw or nail to mount is approved.

314.23 (B)(1) ...by using mounting holes in the back or in a single side of the enclosure, ... Mounting holes made in the field shall be approved.
(trimmed to the relevant sentences)

Thoughts?

Old 05-06-20, 09:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,105 Votes on 1,025 Posts
I took it to mean that if you drill holes in the box in the field...... it needs to be approved.
There's no mention of who needs to do the approving although it may be the inspector.