Doorbell wiring

Old 05-06-20, 12:33 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doorbell wiring

I recently moved into this house. The original doorbell was replaced with a ring video doorbell. I would like to connect the ring to the old doorbell wiring to keep the battery charged so I don't have to keep removing the ring to charge it.

Behind the ring button there are two wires, green and white. I was able to trace the green wire to the furnace closet where the transformer is located. The transformer is dead, probably because the wires were just stuffed in the wall without insulating them and they shorted. The transformer has to pairs of wires connected to it, two green and two white. Both greens connected together and both white connected together. I can only trace one green wire to the button. I don't know where the other green and two white wires connected to the transformer go. And I don't know where the white wire from the button go. There is only one button and I don't know where the chime was located. I've tried using a toner and probe to trace the wire but the signal fades out in a bathroom wall.

Can anyone give me some ideas on how to get power to the doorbell button?

Old 05-06-20, 11:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,348 Votes on 1,246 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure why you would have two cables tied in parallel at the transformer.

One typical wiring method would be from button to chime and transformer to chime.
Another typical method is from button to transformer and chime to transformer.

Yours sound like the second method. That would mean those cables should not be tied in parallel.
One cable goes to the chime and the other cable goes to the button.

I would remove them from the transformer. Untwist them so the wires are all separate. Connect your tone generator at the button. Use your toner to see if one cable has the tone on it. If yes..... just that cable goes to your new transformer supplying the ring.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: