Help identify Outdoor box

Old 05-06-20, 03:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help identify Outdoor box

Hi

I have an outdoor box with some pool light wiring in. I'm trying to identify a larger version that I can mount a GFCI weatherproof socket on.
I've not seen any box like this in my searches and I can't see anything in the big-box stores that might help.
Does anyone know if this box has a name/type etc so I can narrow down my search?

Thanks
Marc

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-20, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Heard them called pool deck boxes. Only time I have seen a receptacle mounted to one was a field engineering marvel.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 05-06-20, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That's exactly what they're called..... deck boxes. Used for a splice point to an in-pool light.
That's it. I've only ever seen them that exact size. They used to be cast brass.

It looks like you are trying to replace that entire box with something else.
It needs to be metal as it carries the bond on those rigid conduits.
A 4 hub metal deck box would work if you could locate one.

Old 05-17-20, 10:23 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So I found a box that I believe will work, and the fittings too.
But the problem I have is the center nut - I can't get any type of wrench around it as there's not enough room with the other pipes being so close.
I've tried adjustable wrench, plumbers wrench, pliers, self locking plier. I even tried fabricating an open end wrench from an old bike wrench and using an angle grinder to get the size right.
The only thing I've not tried is a locknut wrench but I don't think one will grip.
Any ideas on getting the nut off?

Old 05-17-20, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Here's the problem....
That piping work was done before the wiring was installed. That "nut" in the center is not a nut.... it's a reducing bushing. It's a 3/4" threaded hub with 1/2" pipe. The box was screwed directly onto the center pipe, the outside conduits were connected and then the wiring was pulled in.

You'll need to unscrew the box off of the 1/2" conduit.

Old 05-19-20, 09:07 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A lot can go wrong here.

This is a pool lighting junction box. I've never seen one that was rated to support a receptacle, maybe they exist. There are very specific code rules on how pool lights are wired -- for good reason. You are risking a life hazard if you change things in a way that doesn't comply with code. One thing to point out: The outer two conduits are wet conduits carrying the cords to the light fixtures in the pool walls. There is pool water in them up to the level of water in the pool. Here is a link to a manual for a similar junction box -- https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...es_English.pdf .

RocketJSquirrel voted this post useful.
Old 05-20-20, 04:27 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, how far is this box from the inside wall of the pool?
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: