Aluminum wiring - best way to correct?

Old 05-12-20, 05:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aluminum wiring - best way to correct?

Replacing a ceiling light fixture in my son's house (recent purchase) and found it's aluminum wiring. The old fixture (copper wire) was pigtailed to the alum wire in the gang box, with the common wire having 3 alum and the copper twisted together with a wirenut. A couple of the alum wire ends are brittle, so figuring it was heat. I'm figuring to cut back the bad ends.

Question is - what is the best way to re-combine the 3 alum wires and add the new copper stranded wire from the fixture. I also need to connect the alum hot wire to the copper stranded. Are the purple wire nuts sufficient and if so, do they even accept that many wires?

Old 05-12-20, 06:26 PM
L
Received 92 Votes on 80 Posts
Purple wire nuts works most of the time if you use it on fresh aluminum. Sanding surface of the aluminum wire is recommended.

AlumiConn is much better choice. However, you can only connect up to 3 wires with AlumiConn. In order to splice 4 wires, you will have to use 2 connectors.

Old 05-12-20, 06:36 PM
R
thank you, that's what I was thinking of doing after doing some reading, but wasn't sure if it was the best way. Guessing I can connect the 2 AlumiConn's with a copper wire. now just have to hope there's enough room in the box.

Old 05-13-20, 08:51 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
Guessing I can connect the 2 AlumiConn's with a copper wire. now just have to hope there's enough room in the box.
Yes, that is commonly done. The Ideal Purple #65 Twister wire nuts are sold for direct connecting copper and aluminum wiring, but have never been tested by UL and have a very high failure rate. They are, at best, a good temporary connection.

Old 05-13-20, 09:00 AM
R
Thanks...going to work on this today

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: