Generator circuits in panel and subpanel

Old 05-13-20, 07:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generator circuits in panel and subpanel

We have a 200 amp service. The main panel is a GE 40 circuit loadcenter. Next to the main panel is a Murray subpanel. We also have a Reliance 6 circuit transfer switch. The pigtail for the transfer switch enters the GE main panel. However, some of the generator circuits are in the GE panel, and some are in the Murray subpanel. It looks like whoever wired the system ran some red wire from the GE to the Murray subpanel for those generator circuits. However, I believe some of those circuits were moved to the subpanel from the original panel. In particular, if a generator circuit was moved to the subpanel to make space in the GE panel, would the neutral also have to be moved, or would the electricians just run a red wire to the subpanel and leave the neutral for that particular circuit in the original panel? I am planning on adding an AFCI to the subpanel, but am not certain that the neutral for that circuit is in there. Thanks

Old 05-13-20, 10:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
While circuits can run through a panel, the whole circuit (hot+neutral) needs to be run together as you stated. The neutral needs to land on the neutral bar of the correct panel, or breaker.

I'm not surprised that the installer didn't move the neutrals. More work, and no one would usually know the difference. But there are code-reasons (and electrical reasons too) that they need to be run and terminated in the same panel.

Old 05-13-20, 11:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Iíll try to find the neutral. Those panels are such ratís nests!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: