Exposed wire within PVC conduit ... outdoors

Old 05-13-20, 02:56 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exposed wire within PVC conduit ... outdoors

Hi all ... I'm putting in a garden outside and my shovel hit a PVC conduit (3/4", I think) that carries a line from the house to my shed. It's only about 2 or three inches below the surface. I dug around and found a spot where two sections of the PVC conduit meet without a coupling; the wire's right there for all to see. The wire sheathing itself is intact; the wire's just visible.

So. I'll have to dig out the line and see if there's any more breaks in the PVC. My question is this:

1. For every place where the PVC isn't continuous, can I "simply" buy a coupling and join the PVC together? With luck I'll need just the one, but I suppose I'll have to remove all of the PVC from the point of the break, then put a coupling over the wire, move it down, add the PVC back, couple it, then reassemble as necessary back to the wirebox?

2. Is there a coupling piece available that would allow me to couple the two PVC ends right where they are ... without removing the whole conduit back to the box? If there isn't a coupler designed for that task, is there another solution that would keep me from having to dig up the whole length back to the wirebox?

3. I feel like I should re-dig the line and bury it deeper. I'd be surprised if it's been buried to code as is, but do I HAVE to bury the line deeper?

4. I'm concerned that when I do re-couple the PVC (however I do it) that there'll be moisture inside the PVC tubing. Should I be worried about that?

Thanks for any help you can share. I'm really new to this kind of thing and have zero experience with electrical stuff. (I just know to be damn careful.)

Thanks again!

Old 05-13-20, 03:33 PM
J
Received 464 Likes on 384 Posts
They don't make a split coupling. You will need to pull the wires out to get the coupling on. You don't have dig the whole length just from one end where the wires can be removed.
However the conduit should be buried 24" so digging the whole thing is not a bad idea.

There is always moisture inside buried conduit no matter how tight you make the connections.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-13-20, 04:54 PM
P
Received 221 Likes on 188 Posts
The cover depth for pvc conduit is 18" and maybe as shallow as 12" depending on circuit size and gfci protection at the source.
What type wire is in the conduit?

Old 05-14-20, 09:08 AM
L
It's 12/2 ... I think; and I think it's underground wire (it's black anyway).

Old 05-14-20, 09:13 AM
L
Thanks to joed and pattenp for the quick replies ... that's really very helpful, I sincerely appreciate it.

Guess I'm digging up the yard this weekend. With luck, there'll just be the one spot where I need to put on a coupling. Here we go.

Again, thanks!

Old 05-14-20, 10:53 AM
Received 167 Likes on 150 Posts
A split coupling is what you need, but the smallest size I am aware of is 1".

https://conduitrepair.com/product/split-couplings/

The conduit isn't deep enough anyway so it really needs to be replaced 18" deep.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: