Spa GFCI Location

Old 05-14-20, 07:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spa GFCI Location

I'm wiring in a new disconnect for a spa. I know all the wiring requirements, but have a question on the location of the disconnect GFCI. The spa is going on a new patio. I would like to put the disconnect on the opposite side of the patio on the other side a small seating wall (maybe 2 ft high). It would be about 20 feet away, all good there), but being on the opposite side of the wall might technically put it "out of sight". If you stood on top of the spa (and craned your neck a little) I'm sure you could see it. And there would be unobstructed access to it, just need to walk around the wall not over or through anything.

Is this acceptable? Saying it's "within sight" of the spa could mean a lot of things. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-14-20, 08:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 751 Votes on 690 Posts
That really depends on your inspector. I would not try to get "creative" with the definition of in sight. If I can't clearly see it when standing in front of the spa's access panel that I would say it's not within sight. You also don't want it so far removed from the spa that someone could think the disconnect was for something else like an air conditioner.

Old 05-14-20, 10:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
680.12 reads: “Maintenance Disconnecting Means. One or more means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be accessible and within sight from its equipment.”

The primary reason for putting it in sight of the spa is so that when it's shut off for service the person doing the servicing can see anybody at it. I don't think standing on top of the spa will pass muster here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: