How to tell where a receptacle wiring comes from

Old 05-16-20, 07:13 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to tell where a receptacle wiring comes from

Hi,

I want to add a receptacle in my closet. There is an existing receptacle above it currently. Is there a way of telling where the wiring for the existing one comes from? I would assume from the ground up or are assumptions bad in this case?

I would be installing the new receptacle directly under the existing one but in the closet.

Is there a good way to determine this without tearing the wall apart?

Attached Images   

Last edited by PJmax; 05-16-20 at 10:35 AM. Reason: removed spoiler
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-20, 07:23 AM
J
Received 270 Votes on 234 Posts
I would not be concerned where it comes from. You can't tap into the cable, since there won't be enough slack when you cut it to pull into the box. Just plan on running a new cable from an existing receptacle to the new location.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 05-16-20, 08:02 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Makes sense! So just uninstall the existing receptacle (if needed) to be able to wire up the new wiring. Then run down the new wiring down to the new destination? What wire would you recommend? Then I just need a box and the new receptacle, correct?

Old 05-16-20, 08:22 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
To answer your original question....If it's a first floor room, most likely the line will come up from the basement or crawl space. If a second floor room, most likely from above or attic/crawl space. There are exceptions. But I agree with Joe, since it's a receptacle you can just tap off of that. If it was a switch then I would not. Use pig tails rather than tapping directly off the secondary set of screws on existing outlet.

Old 05-16-20, 08:22 AM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
This may not be as easy as it's seems.
Is that outlet controlled by a switch?
I'd first figure out which breaker powers it, just plug something into the outlet and start shutting off breakers until it goes off, it should be a 15 amp. breaker.
If you use a vacuum cleaner to check it it's loud enough you can do this test with one person.
Then pull out the outlet to see how many wires are attached to it.
As far as running the wire, since this is a 2 story there's very likely going to be framing in the way when running the wire.
You would 14-2 wire and you'll need what's called an old work box so it would not need to be nailed to the stud.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...and%20Fittings

Old 05-16-20, 08:51 AM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
At this point I think you are making it bit more complicated than it needs to be. Most likely it's not switched. Usually the first outlet nearest the doorway entrance to bed room is switched. Can't think why an outlet would be switched in a closet. But I could be wrong! 1st or 2nd floor, I don't think it will make much difference (again, only if not switched). But even if it is switched, so what? Flip the switch and you're good to go. If you want it live at all times and a switch controls another outlet, just don't use the other outlet.

Old 05-16-20, 09:59 AM
M
Received 158 Votes on 145 Posts
Take the cover plate off and you should be able to see which way the wire/s come in.

Then plug a lamp into it and try the switches in the bedroom just to be sure it is not switched,
There is a possibility that since it is above the closet that it is for accent lighting so may well be on a switch.

You want to have something plugged in and on anyways since you have to figure out what breaker it is on.