Help with doorbell wiring

Old 05-18-20, 08:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with doorbell wiring

I'm trying to fix my doorbell. It was working a few years ago but I disconnected it because my dog went nuts when it went off. Now that I can reenable it, sad face, I'm not sure which wire goes to the T, F and R. I have 3 combinations of wires, red/black, white/black and red/green that are twisted together. I don't know why there are 2 wires for each because everything I google only has 1 wire, but it did work before so be it. I tried all the combinations of wires on the chime and still nothing from the doorbell. So I took off the front doorbell and put the wires together for each combination of the wires at the chime. Still nothing. I bought a low votage tester and first tested the transformer in the basement. Got 20 volts reading which I think is good. I then disconnected each of the wires from the chime and used the voltage meter to test it. When I test 2 set of wires at a time I get the audible alarm from the device. This is what the instructions says on the Klein ET250 device says.
If resistance < 270kΩ is detected, an audible signal will sound and the continuity icon ")))" will show in the display indicating continuity.
And that is what is happening. I also did the same thing to the wires at the front doorbell and the same audible alarm with symbol appear. So I'm not sure what this means. I even bought a new chime and did the exact same set of sequences with it and still nothing so its not the chime. What else can I check? Does the wire color mean anything in terms of where to connect it at the chime? Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-18-20, 08:24 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
Google "doorbell wiring" and look at the images.
T = transformer
F = front
B = back

So one wire in each set should be a common. They get connected together.
Is the red/green the transformer.
If yes then it should not matter which one you sue as the common since it is AC.
Then I would assume that the blacks of the other two are the commons.
Then red is either the F or the B and same with the white.

Old 05-18-20, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,347 Votes on 1,245 Posts
Many times inexpensive and undersized telephone wire is used for doorbells so they double up the wires to carry more power. Since you only have three "conductors" at the chime..... there is a splice somewhere. You said you checked the transformer.

Were there splices at that location ?
What colors did you find at the buttons ?

Old 05-18-20, 01:20 PM
J
pictures to help

I'm attaching pictures of the chime and transformer. I'm assuming this is the transformer but I haven't traced the wires. It doesn't give any indication of which color goes to front or to the chime.

Attached Images   
Old 05-18-20, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,347 Votes on 1,245 Posts
It looks like there is a six wire cable at the transformer. Two wires are on the transformer. Two wires wrapped around the cable. What are the other two wires doing ?

That is not phone wire. That is the proper #18 thermostat cable. I would doubt all those wires are connected correctly.

Three cables at the chime.....1) red, white and green 2) red and black ?
Did you see what colors were at the buttons ?

Old 05-18-20, 07:59 PM
M
I am not sure why you are checking for resistance at this point.

Undo the wires at the chime and check for 20 volts between the wire sets.

As PJmax said then check the wire colors at the door bell switches.
Also see if the is 20 volts across them.

Old 05-19-20, 06:02 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, what color conductors are connected to the transformer, I donít see them at the chime, as stated separate all the cables at the chime, locate the 2 from the transformer 20 VAC , do the same from each button, 1 conductor from each button and one from the transformer will get wirenutted together, one from transformer goes to T on the chime, one from the front door goes to F on chime, remaining one to R on the chime.
Use an Ohm meter to test door buttons.
Geo

Old 05-19-20, 10:25 AM
J
It looks like the picture I posted for the transformer is for the furnace, not the doorbell. I can't find another one so I'm thinking it might be behind a wall. The wires on the doorbell are old and both covered in brown wrapping. I went up to the attic and found 2 wires that appear to be coming from the front door area. One is white and the other is red. The white looks like it is going down to the doorbell, while the red runs farther in the attic, down to where other wires are running to the basement. I appreciate the help but I think I need to call in an electrician.

Old 05-19-20, 10:50 AM
M
Did you look on your electrical panel?

Old 05-19-20, 01:14 PM
J
yes, i have 2 of them and they are embedded into a wall. i also checked each set of wires at the chime with the voltage detector. I put the two wires together at the doorbell and then tested 2 sets at the chime each time and I did get an audible alarm but not a 20 volt reading on any combination.

+.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: