GFCI outlet not powering the other outlets in the circuit

Old 05-20-20, 10:00 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFCI outlet not powering the other outlets in the circuit

One of the outlets connected to the bathroom GFCI got wet and stopped working.

Checked the other outlet in the same bathroom and it was not working either. This other outlet is right next to a GFCI. So suspected a tripped GFCI.

Tried resetting the GFCI but power would not come back.

Dried the outlet on the other side of the sink that had gotten slightly wet. Tried to reset the GFCI again and still no power.

Bought a new GFCI. The old GFCI did not have an outlet on the GFCI itself. The new GFCI does have an outlet on the GFCI itself. Connected the new GFCI to the wires that were powering the old GFCI.

There is power to the new GFCI with the main circuit breaker on. But NONE of the other 4 outlets gets power.

The load wires from the GFCI do not have continuity with ANY of the other outlets. This is what is strange and I need help with. The main outlet next to the GFCI which should get power from GFCI has 9 wires going to it but none of these wires have continuity with any of the GFCI wires. Please see the picture of the wires of this outlet for clarity but I will outline them here again.

The wires to the main outlet that should be powered by the GFCI have continuity as follows:
One white and one black have continuity with the basement bathroom outlet. (2 wire total)
One white and one black have continuity with the guest bathroom outlet. (2 wire total)
One white and one black have continuity with the outlet on the other side of the sink. (2 wire total)
One white and one black come out of this outlet and are held by the twist on wire connectors to the other black and white wires. (2 wire total)
One wire is bare and is earth or ground (1 wire total)

So that accounts for all 9 wires in this outlet and then how is it being controlled by the GFCI if none of its wires have continuity with any of the wires in the GFCI??

Please let me of your thoughts and if you have any questions to better understand the situation and try to help.

Thank you.

Attached Images    
Old 05-20-20, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can't read your text in the pictures. It looks like it says something about basement bathroom.
There can only be one GFI receptacle in the circuit if you are using the load terminals. If your circuit starts in that bathroom and then goes downstairs..... each location should have it's own GFI receptacle. That would mean that there would be no connections made to the load terminals.

Old 05-20-20, 11:37 AM
B
Sorry about the pictures. I thought the site will allow the pictures to be the original size once it is clicked on but apparently it does not. So here are links to the pictures in Google Drive.

Click on the link to go to the pictures:

GFCI

GFCI_main_outlet_powered_by_GFCI

Back_of_the_new_GFCI

One thing that I forgot to mention in the original post is that in the main circuit breaker box in the garage, bathroom GFCI is labeled as circuit breaker number 12, but what actually took power off the GFCI was circuit breaker #10 which was labeled Whirlpool. Please see the following diagrams:

Circuit_Breaker_Designation_

Circuit_Breaker_Box

Your reply post is not clear but now that you should be able to read the pictures perhaps you can post again with more clarity.

Thank you.

Last edited by bp8va; 05-20-20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-20-20, 01:07 PM
B
I put the lose wires together and back into the outlet. Hoping that when everything is back somewhat magically (since I can't come up with an explanation about no continuity between the outlet and GFCI) powers up.

Another peculiar thing about the new vs the old GFCI is the position of the ground with respect to Line and Load. Please see the picture.

Old 05-20-20, 02:42 PM
B
This got fixed. The issue was I was looking at the wrong GFCI. The correct one was in another bathroom upstairs.

I was told there are 2 rules to GFCIs that must be followed as written below:

- EITHER: A circuit can serve bathroom receptacles in any number of bathrooms, but ONLY bathroom receptacles. That is obviously the choice that was made here.

- OR: a circuit can serve bathroom receptacles in ONE bathroom, and hardwired loads (lights fan etc.) in That Same bathroom... but can serve no loads in any other room. Obviously that is not the case here.

There were several clues that should have got me into the right path, but they did not and the reason is that one of these GFCI had gone bad before in the garage and I thought they were all "junk" that go bad at the firs time they get tripped. This was at the back of my mind and I was disregarding all clues because of this. Add to that the fact that there was a GFCI right in the same bathroom and the same sink, obviously made me think that it must be the one that got tripped.

I did not know about the 2 rules of the GFCIs. But even if I did probably would have disregarded that also. Now I know better.

The clues that should have gotten me to think that it is probably another GFCI somewhere else in the house were the followings:

First the GFCI that was in the same bathroom had NOT tripped, but I disregarded this due to the "These GFCIs are ALL Junk" thinking that I had.

Second the breaker in the breaker box in the garage that was labeled GFCI was number 12, but what was taking the power off the GFCI that was in the same bathroom was breaker number 10. This puzzled me but again I put it down to the carelessness of the electrical contractors that built the house. Also there has been occasional outlets that have not worked for unknown reason and I put that down to also shabby workmanship of the electrical contractors. So need to think more positively about these hardworking people next time and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Third there was NO continuity between any of the wires of the GFCI in the bathroom and any of the wires going to the outlet next to it. This was a total puzzle and this could not be explained at all, and that is when I decided to get help by posting here.

Thanks for all who read and tried to help.

Old 05-20-20, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,965 Votes on 2,675 Posts
Those two rules are more recent changes.

I work in a large condo development built back in approx 2000. There was a single GFI receptacle installed in one bathroom and it also protected receptacles in the second and third bathrooms, outside on the deck, basement and two receptacles in the garage. Always a job to troubleshoot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: