Circuit Breaker to Garage Tripping Randomly

Old 05-21-20, 09:38 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Breaker to Garage Tripping Randomly

Okay so I've been racking my brain on this random issue for a couple weeks now. I've got the main panel in the house feeding my garage subpanel 240VAC service that has been installed and working for years now. Recently it seems during inclimate weather (rain/thunderstorms although not every time it rains making it more frustrating) the main breaker in the house feeding the garage will trip. When I go to reset the breaker, it will instantly trip again. I've found that usually when I go to the garage and turn off all the breakers that I can flip the breaker in the house back on. Then I can go to the garage and individually flip the breakers back on and all seems well.

Since its the line from the house to the garage tripping I'm thinking it might have been the wire in the ground however if I turn the breakers off, I seem to be able to bring the circuit back up. I also swapped out the breaker itself thinking maybe that breaker may be worn however after doing so it has since tripped.

Normal load when this seems to occur would be a dusk to dawn light on the exterior, a DVR/camera system, the garage door opener, a network switch/wifi extender, a stereo receiver and possibly an exhaust fan although since its been cool, the thermostat likely has it turned off.

I'm really at a loss here at exactly even how to approach this problem. I'm pretty good with electricity and wiring it but this is simply a bizarre problem that I've simply never seen.

Old 05-21-20, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,966 Votes on 2,676 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If it's a standard breaker..... not GFI or AFCI..... then I would check for a problem in the underground wiring. I would remove the two hot wires from the main breaker and from the sub panel and check them to ground with an ohmmeter.

Old 05-21-20, 10:26 AM
D
This is a fantastic idea. Thank you! More to come!

Old 05-21-20, 01:40 PM
P
Received 210 Votes on 178 Posts
What wiring method was used to feed garage? Direct bury or conduit?

Old 05-26-20, 02:10 PM
D
Direct burial I believe. Was completed well before my time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: