8' LED tube wiring inquiry

Old 05-21-20, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
8' LED tube wiring inquiry

I am replacing the two 8 ft long fluorescent lamps in the two-lamp fixture with two 8 ft long LED lamps instead. The LED lamps have integrated drivers within the tubes so no ballast no external driver required. They have a single pin on each end. They are intended to be direct-wired to the positive (hot) and neutral wires. So one end of the fixture is two tombstones and the other end of the fixture has of course two tombstones also. On both ends of the fixture I have a jumper wire going from one terminal on one tombstone over to a terminal on the other tombstone on the same end. I am of the understanding that correct wiring would be to connect the hot wire to one terminal of a tombstone on one end of the fixture, and connect the neutral wire to one terminal of a tombstone on the other end of the fixture, so that in effect one end of each tube is connected directly to hot and the other (opposite) end of each tube is connected to neutral. Is that correct or is there a chance I've gotten it mixed up and am mistaken about it? Any comments appreciated!

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

05-22-20, 03:11 AM
manden
Received 125 Votes on 116 Posts
I think you will love them.

About a year ago I saw the 4 foot 5000K clear bulbs on sale cheap on Amazon.
So I figured I would give them a try even though they were about the same lumens as the fluorescent bulbs I had.

They are way brighter and the whiter light is better in my utility room.
I ended up checking Amazon often till they were on sale again and bought a couple more so I could also use them in the second fixture in my utility room,

I had some new spare fluorescent bulbs but took them to recycling along with the used bulbs I had accumulated and switched my other fixture to the LED,s

Note: That I am cheap so getting rid of new bulbs is an indication of how impressed I was.

Old 05-21-20, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 762 Votes on 715 Posts
Many single pin sockets have a place for two wires to connect at the non spring end. Don't connect two wires to the socket. Make a splice so that the power is two wires..... one wire to each socket. Same thing for the neutral.

When the tube is not in place..... the two blue wires are not connected internally. That means if the one tube that had the two wires on it was out.... the other wouldn't work.

You can use either hole if there are two but just use one wire to each socket.

Name:  tube.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  10.1 KB

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-21-20, 07:37 PM
Thanks. Pretty sure I understand. Splice and connect as per your diagram, and no "jumper" wires between the tombstones (sockets) on either end of the fixture.

Old 05-21-20, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Yes....that is correct.......................

Old 05-21-20, 07:55 PM
Ok then I should be good to go. thanks again

Old 05-21-20, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
I've got an 8' four tube fixture I'll be converting very soon.
I had four brand new tubes in it and two got broken with a broom handle.

Old 05-21-20, 08:29 PM
My 8' fixtures have removable protective wire cages that I think are just a "lot of trouble" to bother to reinstall by clipping them back on. Maybe I should reconsider. I'd hate to accidentally bust one of these lamps they're not cheap.

Old 05-21-20, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
The protective cages aren't a bad idea.
The tubes I'm looking at are Halco's. About $22 each.

Old 05-21-20, 08:53 PM
Look at the price of these things; what I got. Actually somebody was giving four brand new ones of these away for free because nobody bought them at their garage sale and I snatched em right up. And actually they are all plastic so they probably are fairly broomstick proof compared to the regular "old school" fluorescent glass tubes.

https://www.hyperikon.com/led-tubes/...frosted-clear/
if you do the math they apparently would cost a little over 13 bucks a tube, for a quantity of 20.

Last edited by sgull; 05-21-20 at 08:57 PM. Reason: if you do the math they apparently would cost a little over 13 bucks a tube, for a quantity of 20.
Old 05-21-20, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
I see places online selling them for less..... like the place you linked to.
Somehow I just can't picture the shape of those tubes after shipping.

Old 05-21-20, 10:16 PM
I see places online selling them for less..... like the place you linked to.
Well the place I linked to sells them for the price showed in the link.

Somehow I just can't picture the shape of those tubes after shipping.
Mine came in a box of four, each lamp was inside its own nice thick cardboard sleeve/tube with a cardboard removeable/replaceable slip-over cap. I was surprised how well protected.

After I get the simple wiring done and these lamps installed (tomorrow I hope), I'll get to see for the first time how the lighting compare to the regular fluorescents. If they work. They're brand new, so should.

Old 05-22-20, 03:11 AM
M
Received 125 Votes on 116 Posts
I think you will love them.

About a year ago I saw the 4 foot 5000K clear bulbs on sale cheap on Amazon.
So I figured I would give them a try even though they were about the same lumens as the fluorescent bulbs I had.

They are way brighter and the whiter light is better in my utility room.
I ended up checking Amazon often till they were on sale again and bought a couple more so I could also use them in the second fixture in my utility room,

I had some new spare fluorescent bulbs but took them to recycling along with the used bulbs I had accumulated and switched my other fixture to the LED,s

Note: That I am cheap so getting rid of new bulbs is an indication of how impressed I was.

CasualJoe, sgull voted this post useful.
Old 05-22-20, 08:22 AM
Good to hear. If they seem to perform well like that for me I'll be getting some more for the other identical fixtures I have which have old standard tubes and ballasts too that are pretty close to end of life anyway.

Old 05-22-20, 09:26 AM
A
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
deleted ........................

Old 05-22-20, 10:00 AM
The lamps fit reliably/securely and just as it is intended into the tombstones I have.. The single pins on the end of the lamps are not thin. The tombstones simply happen to have two stick-in wire terminals on each of them. The two sockets on the one end of the fixture are spring-loaded, and on the other end are not, and are for single pin just as I have. (response to deleted post)

Old 05-22-20, 01:26 PM
Man these suckers are bright!