Basement Wiring Assistance

Old 05-22-20, 10:12 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Basement Wiring Assistance

All,

Been lurking for a while and finally broke down and decided to beg for assistance. I am finishing my basement and trying to get everything ready to submit for permits. W/ the exception of electrical I have everything covered. Electrical is giving me grief and I am struggling to get it right. The details of my basement project are as follows:
1) 9ft ceilings
2) 100 AMP Sub-panel in basement
3) 1780 Sqft
4) Bonus room is actually going to be a Secret Room...well as secret as it can be and still be on submitted plans. The doorway to that room will be a bookcase that is a door.
5) 2 Bedrooms, large activity area, and bathroom. I know the bathroom must be on a 20AMP dedicated circuit.
6) All lights are recessed mounted 5-6" LED Lights (12W LEDR56JBX/930/4) except for the 4 over future bar. Those lights will be 4" LED Lights (10W LEDR4JBX/930/4) The 4" lights may be unnecessary and I am willing to omit and/or replace w/ 5"-6" lights
7) Exhaust Fan/Light combo is 28.8W (Model# 7130-06-BT)
8) You will see some lights that appear centered in the room(s). Those will likely be ceiling fans w/ lights but I am undecided at the moment. Right now they are just 5"-6" recessed place holders.

I think I have the lights and outlets laid out correctly (Code indicates every 6' for outlets). Maybe the collective can provide me w/ better ideas/solutions? What is overwhelming is trying to wire this thing up correctly so I can receive permits. I had some wiring ideas (several iterations) on paper but they seemed overly complicated and confusing so I uploaded a blank slate.

I appreciate any and all assistance.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
FloorPlan_Electrical.pdf (60.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-22-20, 11:05 PM
J
Received 300 Votes on 257 Posts
It's not every 6'. It's no point on the wall more than 6' away from receptacle. That means one within 6' of door, then every 12' after that. If you are in the middle of 12', it is 6' to either receptacle.
Those are the minimums. You can have as many more as you want.

Old 05-23-20, 12:37 AM
L
Got it! Well I put in a few extra-lol. Appreciate the clarification.

Old 05-23-20, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
The only thing I see missing in the plan is there are no switches in some rooms. You will need 3 ways in the bathroom.

You do not have your location in your header but in my area, you do not have to submit electrical plans. You only have to apply/pay for a permit. You then do the rough-in electrical before everything is covered and the inspector will look to make sure everything is spaced correctly.

Old 05-23-20, 07:18 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
* GFIs in the bathroom and bar
* You have a LOT of receptacles. I like lots, but I think that is overkill. I usually start off thinking about where the lamp will go, couch, etc. Then add a few more, then make sure the 6/12 rule is good. Of course, you can add as many as you want - but yeah, that's a lot.
* I personally hate bathrooms with 2 doors. Having to close and lock each before getting down to business. What a pain. Your house, your call.

Overall, looks great though. You have quite a project on your hands!

Old 05-23-20, 11:24 AM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
I think I'd add a GFCI receptacle inside the mechanical closet. The easiest way would be to attach it to the subpanel.

Old 05-23-20, 04:45 PM
L
Awesome!!

Appreciate the feedback! I will attempt to keep everyone posted on my progress!

Old 05-26-20, 08:08 PM
L
Question Updated Wiring Diagram

I updated my Basement Wiring Diagram (BWD). Details are below. Please do not hesitate to provide any feedback, tips, and/or assistance! I appreciate everything.

1) The numbers 1-8 correspond to individual circuits. Please advise when you identify better way(s) of doing things.
2) All circuits (Circuits 1-7) will be protected with a Combination type AFCI. The Bathroom (Circuit 8) will be protected using a GFCI breaker or receptacle.
3) Circuit 6 will be on 20 Amp. That room will likely become a Theater/Entertainment room.
4) Circuit 8 (Bathroom) is also a 20 Amp.
5) GFCI will also be used for receptacles located @ the Wetbar.
6) Circuit 7 will be Smoke and CO detectors. I already have an existing one wired in basement which is also connected to the other ones running throughout the house. I need to check if I can add onto the circuit. If I can not then it will be wired as indicated in the diagram.
7) Mechanical closet already has light and GFCI receptacle (wired from builder). That same circuit includes 4 other lights w/i the basement. They are not shown on the BWD. Still unsure how to best integrate that circuit into the basement wiring plan. Will update when I make the decision.
8) Sump Pump is also already wired. Is it best to keep Sump Pump on own circuit or can I (Should I) utilize the circuit? Current plan is to leave it isolated and alone.
9) I am considering adding some low voltage LEDs in the vicinity of the wetbar. Thoughts?
10) Bedroom One is missing Closet. I forgot to add it.

***Basement Details remain unchanged from previous post***
1) 9ft ceilings
2) 100 AMP Sub-panel in basement
3) 1780 Sqft
5) 2 Bedrooms, large activity area, and bathroom.
6) All lights are recessed mounted 5-6" LED Lights (12W LEDR56JBX/930/4)
7) Exhaust Fan/Light combo is 28.8W (Model# 7130-06-BT)
8) You will see some lights that appear centered in the room(s). Those will likely be ceiling fans w/ lights but I am undecided at the moment. Right now they are just 5"-6" recessed place holders. Currently wired w/ two switches.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Basement_Electrical.pdf (74.4 KB, 16 views)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: