Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding electrical outlet in laundry room - taking power from powder room help

Old 05-23-20, 08:02 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

I am planning on adding an electrical outlet in the laundry room for a rechargeable vacuum that I wall mounted.
There is not outlet on that side of the laundry room - just on the side where washer is.The vacuum is mounted on a wall between laundry room and powder room (shared wall). The powder room has a light fixture on that shared wall. So I was thinking to tie into this outlet.

My questions:
1.) Is there any issue to have an outlet connected to other room? I am not sure whether all outlets in laundry room require one circuit. Or is rule that washer/dryer need dedicated circuit, rest does not mater?
2.) This wall is not a standard 2x4. It appears there is about 6 1/4" space between drywall. Therefore, is there any way to "extend"/"connect on other side of powder room light electrical box?; i.e. attach a box in laundry room to powder room box? Else, I woudl get a retrofit box and use flex conduit to connect.
3.) related to 2.) - is there code where outlet can be height wise? i.e. can I have it 6- 7ft above floor?
4.) non of my outlets are GFCI in laundry room. Outlet is away from water. Is there still a requirement?

Old 05-23-20, 08:13 AM
J
Received 441 Votes on 367 Posts
Chicago land requires conduit for everything.

Old 05-23-20, 09:27 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes, but I thought for some short runs flex conduit is ok. In any case I could do regular conduit. i.e. I can install second outlet just below with some short conduit without opening wall beyond outlet.

But I still wonder if I could sister up as another option.

Old 05-23-20, 01:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
I believe code prohibits adding to that circuit in a room other than a bathroom.

Old 05-23-20, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,951 Votes on 2,663 Posts
Power room is the same as a bathroom. You could take power off the powder room lighting circuit but not the receptacle circuit. If the powder room lights and receptacles are on one circuit then it can not be added to.

You could add on to the washer and dryer for that small of a load. That is a special purpose receptacle and does not need to be any certain height.

Based on your code cycle that receptacle probably doesn't need to be GFI protected.
The latest code cycle has every receptacle in a home to be GFI or AFCI protected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: