Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Using Klein and Southwire Strippers to Remove NM Sheath - Keep Nicking Wires

Old 05-23-20, 07:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Whenever I run NM cable, I generally use a utility knife to remove the jacket. It works fine, but I always feel like some type of tool would be better. I have both the Klein K1412 and the Southwire Box Jaw Wire Stripper. For whatever reason, I cannot seem to consistently get a good strip without nicking or marking the conductors. I used a 15í spool of NM today practicing. I seem to have better luck with the Southwire tool, and I get a clean cut probably 80% of the time. The Klein seems to make a small mark almost every time unless I barely use any pressure. I watched the YouTube video from Southwire, and if I used the same pressure, I would definitely mark the wire. Some of the marks seem to have no depth, but others I can feel with my nail. If I bend the conductor, it is much more noticeable. Iím starting to wonder if I should just give up on the idea of using these. If I didnít peel the jacket back a bit and inspect the conductors, I would never even know that I marked (and sometimes nicked) them. Is it possible that Iím just doing something wrong?

Old 05-23-20, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I don't like those plier type strippers at all.
A knife is probably the quickest and easiest way and is the method I use.
You could get an NM cable ripper. Easier to use than a knife.

Name:  ripper.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  7.5 KB

AFJES voted this post useful.
Old 05-23-20, 08:17 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ. I guess Iíll just stick with using a utility knife.

Old 05-24-20, 04:55 AM
A
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
I would go with PJmax suggestion. I always use a romex ripper and never a utility knife.
It is very easy when using a utility knife to accidentally place a slit into the hot wire insulation and not even notice it. Then when you go to wire a device or the box etc and there is a slit in the insulation you now run the risk of a dead short because you have bare copper wire showing thru the slit in the insulation which you did not even notice. I have encountered many hot wires with slits in the insulation.

Old 05-24-20, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I love my NM wire strippers and never have issues. I have the Ideal version but have also used the Klein's as well. The trick is all you want to do is score the jacket with the strippers with a light squeeze. You do not want to grab and pull like to do when stripping wires. After you score the jacket, bend the cable with your hands at the score mark. The outside jacket will break at that point, then just pull the jacket off with your hands.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-24-20 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-24-20, 06:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
The Klein strippers shown in the OP are much faster than the ripper or a utility knife. They are one step compared to rip and cut. I just squeeze and pull the jacket off. Don't ever remember an issue.

Old 05-24-20, 08:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
My favorite stripper is a pair of yellow handles with a v notch cut in each blade. Don't know brand but been using them for years. Fits all smaller size wires up to 10.

Old 05-24-20, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
My favorite stripper is a pair of yellow handles with a v notch cut in each blade
Is these the ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-K.../dp/B001F6TGP8

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: