What to do with unneeded Romex conductors?

Old 05-24-20, 02:55 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with unneeded Romex conductors?

I'm updating my kitchen wiring and I believe the in-ceiling ventilation fan needs to be AFCI-protected.

To accomplish this electrically all I need to do is pigtail into the hot wire of one of outlets on the load side of the AFCI/GFCI outlet.

The easy way to do it would be to just pull out the black wire from some Romex but I suspect removing the protective sheathing would violate code.

Is it per code to just clip off the unused neutral and ground wires at both ends where the sheathing ends, or do I need to wire the neutral and ground in normally (which would be redundant)?

Doing the latter would bring the allowable conductor volume just up to the limit and make stuffing all of the wires into the box even more of a struggle.

Last edited by Noah Katz; 05-24-20 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 03:06 PM
J
Received 442 Votes on 367 Posts
You can not just tap the load wire. You need to bring the neutral as well.
In a kitchen you can't tap off the receptacles. They are dedicated to receptacles only.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-24-20, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,966 Votes on 2,676 Posts
Just to go one step further.... FYI...... if you tap off a GFI or AFCI device..... you MUST use the hot and neutral load connections from that device. If you didn't use the neutral..... when you drew any power on the hot wire.... it would trip.

Old 05-24-20, 10:15 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Right, I should have mentioned that I'm also running a new circuit for the living room, which shares a wall w/the kitchen.

OK, I'll run the neutral too, thanks, Joe

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: