It was right... then it wasnt right.. How to fix?

Old 05-24-20, 03:15 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 24 Posts
Unhappy It was right... then it wasnt right.. How to fix?

My first time ever laying conduit with a trencher... that deep... and to code.

I laid some 3" conduit 3 ft deep. When I set my 3' elbow at the power pole, it was within 6" - 9" distance from the pole as per the power company specs.
The trencher I was using, only had a left hand angle to the blade to back fill the dirt (it was permanently in place), so I had to start at the other end of the run & come back to the pole. When I got back to the pole after back-filling the entire 255 ft run, I noticed the elbow was now 16" from the pole. I am not sure what happened or why. But now I am off the pole too far for the power company's requirement/needs/wants, etc. I am sure you guys know that they need it within 6 - 9" from the pole so they can attach brackets to hold the conduit to the pole.

This is schedule 80 & they will need to go 25 - 30 ft up the pole with conduit. Will that be enough that they can work with the conduits flexibility?
If not, how can I fix this without digging up a huge length (50 - 250 ft of conduit) to fix it? I cant be the first ever to have this happen, so there has to be a "work-around" or a trick that electricians use to correct this.

I've looked for an off-set nipple but all I can seem to find is either 1/2" or 3/4". I did find some off-set meter nipple things up to 2" but no 3 inch. However, these look like they have threads & I ain't sure if an off-set nipple is even allowed by code in this scenario (above ground ... this size conduit.... etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-20, 03:58 PM
J
Received 202 Votes on 178 Posts
I would dig a hole at the pole big enough to cut in a length of conduit. You shouldn't need to dig more than enough to fit yourself in the hole to work.
I don't know if it is permitted but maybe after you have the hole you could heat the riser and flex it close enough.

Old 05-24-20, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 837 Votes on 784 Posts
how can I fix this without digging up a huge length (50 - 250 ft of conduit) to fix it?
Worse come to worst...... you dig 10' or so. Cut the pipe and couple in a 15" piece.
Another idea is to use back to back 45 sweeps.
Name:  45.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  7.4 KB
If I had to make a recommendation..... I would say remove the PVC sweep and replace with a metal one. With a 255' pull..... there will be a lot of heat generated in that sweep. It could melt.

Old 05-24-20, 05:32 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
I had actually thought about cutting & splicing but I never thought about using the sweeping 45's. I am not sure they'll allow that, so I think at this point my best option is to cut & splice. However I'll take any other idea's.

Thanks so far guys.

Old 05-24-20, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I laid some 3" conduit 3 ft deep
code is 18" AFAIK

Is there wire in it already?

Just dig down the riser some and off set it to the pole using 2 45's as was suggested here

Old 05-24-20, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Did you use a long sweep 90?

I doubt they will approve of the offset. Too much friction in the pull. Cut and add a piece is your best option.

Old 05-24-20, 07:25 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Larosa, Entergy is requiring 3 ft deep with 3 in because its a new service over 200 ft.
There is no wire in it yet. Entergy will come pull the wire in a few weeks after I have wired the meter, main disconnect, building and the inspection is completed & approved. They are pulling #2 wire (I think) because of the long run.

PC Boss, I did use a 3 ft sweep per Entergy's guidelines. Like you, I suspect they wont approve the two 45's right after the sweeping 90.

Again, I appreciate all advice.

Old 05-25-20, 09:50 AM
Received 66 Votes on 57 Posts
I did use a 3 ft sweep per Entergy's guidelines.
What is the radius of the sweep you used? A 36" radius sweep might be the ticket.

https://www.grainger.com/product/CAN..._vc=IDPPLARECS

Old 05-25-20, 04:46 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes sir, it was a 3 ft sweep on both ends.

To update, I dug out some dirt today & added 10" of conduit. That ended up putting me at 9" from the pole.

All good now on that. I appreciate the help.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-28-20, 09:37 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Post removed by OP........................