Junction box in brick fireplace

Old 05-24-20, 08:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Junction box in brick fireplace

Buddy of mine just bought a new home and would like an outlet on his fireplace for his tv so he can mount it to the brick and have the wires hidden. He would also like to run an HDMI, Coax, and Cat6 to this same location. My question would be this:

What is the best way to cut through the brick? I should be able to fish these wires into the attic through the void spaces once we are through the brick, correct? I know we can remove a brick to make things "simpler" but I am trying to avoid removing any bricks if possible. Also what would be behind the brick if anything? sheetrock perhaps? The house was built in 2001. I thought about using a Spyder hole saw and a round junction box for the power but I do not know if they make or if i could attach and "outlet" cover to a round junction box instead of square J box. Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated and I will try to find a way to post some pictures of the fireplace off my phone in a follow up post so it will hopefully give a better idea of what im dealing with.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

05-29-20, 06:00 AM
joed
Received 199 Votes on 176 Posts
We mounted the tv ( stationary flat mount ) where he wanted it into the brick using 1/4X 1 -1/4 tapcons.
This concerns me. If you did not hit a stud, your TV is only being held up by the glue holding the thin brick to the drywall.

Old 05-24-20, 09:11 PM
T
https://imgur.com/kXNmhtP

Last edited by TbrownAFD15; 05-24-20 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-24-20, 09:41 PM
J
Hard to say what is behind the bricks.
What type of fireplace is it? electric? gas? real wood? zero clearance?
Is it real full size brick or just brick veneer glued to a substrate?

Old 05-24-20, 09:45 PM
T
I believe there is sheet rock behind it. It is a gas fireplace.

Old 05-25-20, 02:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
A diamond saw will cut the rock. With drywall you should be able to fish the power behind the wall.

Old 05-25-20, 04:58 AM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Hi, have you gone into the attic to see what is actually around the chimney?
Geo

Old 05-25-20, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
Kind of looks like faux brick to me.

Old 05-25-20, 08:30 AM
T
I did go in the attic and found the top plate to his vaulted celing running in front of his fireplace by about 8in. I peeled back the insulation batting and it seems there is a void space back there at least just to the right of the bricked up fireplace. I believe the front is the faux brick and I have feeling there is some sheetrock or some kind of other material behind it that they built the "asthetic" look of the fireplace up on. I went back and looked this morning I believe IF i can cut through the brick I should be able to get into a void and drop some cables. Any recommendations on the best way to cut a square hole instead of round? I just feel like that would be easier given that he wants data and power I can then get a high/low voltage 2 gang Jbox and put it in the brick so he can have power and his date cables and I know I can find a cover plate at the local shops that have a "wireway' and also power.

Old 05-25-20, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
You can cut a square hole using a diamond wheel in an angle grinder. Just be sure to run a vac at the same time.

Here is a two gang remodel box: Arlington | Multiple Gang Recessed TV BOX? for Power and Low Voltage

All sorts of options: http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/ho...r-audio-video/

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 05-25-20, 08:56 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
Try to figure out exactly where the studs are behind the brick.
You do not want to cut the hole and then find out that there is a stud in the middle of it.

Seems like it would be the perfect job for an oscillating multi tool.

Old 05-25-20, 09:17 AM
J
Agree with a diamond or carbide blade to get through the brick.

Old 05-25-20, 10:04 AM
Received 64 Votes on 55 Posts
I prefer to think this is a perfect job for someone else!

Old 05-25-20, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
If you want to turn it into an all-day job. Multi-tools are quite slow.

Old 05-25-20, 11:03 AM
M
The problem with an angle grinder is that you have to over cut to get through.
Perhaps would be better to use the angle grinder to cut to the size of hole needed and then an oscillating tool to cut the rest of the way through at the corners.

Old 05-25-20, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
For a 4x4 box? Four cuts with a grinder, (not over cut) then hit it with a hammer. Clean the drywall out with a keyhole saw.

Old 05-25-20, 12:55 PM
T
I could always just remove a brick altogether that only requires taking out mortar rather than cutting bricks... buttttt i hate the way that looks and I feel like its not a very "clean" install. IF I HAVE TO ... i will do that to find and fish the wires but I do not care for that. I just cant imagine there isnt another way other than removing bricks hence the original question. I appreciate the input guys and please keep it coming with any additional ideas. I am still trying to figure out how to embed the photos i took lol... not the best at that stuff

Old 05-25-20, 02:58 PM
L
Received 48 Votes on 44 Posts
Unless you are absolutely sure that the TV will not be removed sometime later, I'd go for surface mount. Make holes only in the mortar line. That way, it can be fixed later.

Mounting TV on top of the fire place is generally not a good idea. Heat won't be a problem for GAS and electric fire places, but the height is usually too high.

Old 05-25-20, 04:14 PM
Hi, you havenít determined what kind of surface it is, looks like some kind of veneer maybe faux, in which case I would consider an oscillating tool.
Geo

Old 05-26-20, 05:41 AM
M
I agree with lambition here.
Unless the person has had a high mounted TV and liked it I would not put it above the mantle.
If possible put the tv there and give it a try before doing all the electrical.
Sometimes there is no other choice so you are stuck with it.

Also what type of mount are you going to use.
Some mounts stick out from the wall quite a bit so you may be able to use a surface mounted box.

One more thing is the size/weight of the TV.
You may well have to find the studs behind the brick to safely mount it.

Old 05-28-20, 06:27 PM
T
Well i pulled the trigger and we just took out a brick and made a makeshift 2x4 "plate" to put the junction box in. I did find out there was a void space behind it just like I anticipated. We were able to run the cables without much trouble. We mounted the tv ( stationary flat mount ) where he wanted it into the brick using 1/4X 1 -1/4 tapcons. Mount is solid wires look ok and once it gets painted i doubt it will be highly noticeable and it will be behind the TV anyways. We ended up just buying a mortar chisel and going to town on the mortar around the brick. We measured wall and did a "rough" estimate of where studs should be and we were able to cut where we needed without hitting a stud. Overall turned out alright I will post pictures of the finished products when we complete it! I appreciate all the help and info this forum has provided and look forward to further projects!

Old 05-28-20, 06:30 PM
J
Was it full bricks or face brick glued to drywall?

Old 05-28-20, 08:12 PM
T
Face brick glued or adhered to sheet rock behind it. Behind the sheet rock was the actual brick for the fireplace itself but between the 2 was a void space. Was able to drill through the top place right up against the fireplace in the attic and we had one fire break between that and where we removed the brick.... once I got through the fire break we were able to fish the cables with glow rods fairly easily. The hardest part was finding a way to mount the junction box. Like I said we have a temporary fix in place but I would like some options on how to fill that gap where we removed the brick if anyone has any. We juse used a single 2x4 and cut a square into that for the Jbox then fit it into the brick opening. Then we drilled a small 1in hole next to that just in the wood for the low voltage wires.

Old 05-29-20, 04:59 AM
Hi, itís a bit hard to understand what you did, but if you had a void between the 2 walls this box would have been a better choice than a 4Ē Sq. this would have mounted flush with the brick veneer and the you could have filled in around it.
please post a pic when you are done.
http://www.aimedia.co/media/catalog-pages/N-1.pdf
Geo

Old 05-29-20, 06:00 AM
J
We mounted the tv ( stationary flat mount ) where he wanted it into the brick using 1/4X 1 -1/4 tapcons.
This concerns me. If you did not hit a stud, your TV is only being held up by the glue holding the thin brick to the drywall.

lambition, XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 05-30-20, 01:55 PM
T
The face of the fireplace is actual brick with mortar lines. Its very solid and we used the 4 tapcons into the brick and mortar. The bricks are real not faux it appears they just built the cosmetic part in the house but its all real materials. I get what you are saying but we pressed down pretty much as hard as we could and it didnt even flinch. IF this becomes an issue or it starts to shift we can find some studs and go get some longer tapcons. Behind the brick we drilled is a void space just like a normal wall would have. I am trying to find out how to post pictures but apparently im too dumb to figure it out. The TV mount is solid though you could easily hang on it if you wanted to and the TV is an LED weighs next to nothing.