TT30 Plug for Dryer

Old 05-24-20, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TT30 Plug for Dryer

Hello, I just got a screaming deal on a brand new Samsung dryer. I thought I had an electric 220V hookup but it turns out it's a TT30 125V - 30A outlet. The dryer can do 120V and 220V but I am curious about whether this plug is suitable for a dryer. Also curious about drying time given that it's only 125V.

I have gotten some quotes on installing a 220V in there but since the breakers are in the back of the house, the cost of parts and labor is insane. It would be cheaper to just return this dryer and buy a gas one instead.

Thanks and any advice would be great!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-20, 05:07 AM
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Hi, that outlet is for an RV. Outlet TT-30 120V-30A. Dec 302013. TT-30R (also known as RV 30) is a standard outlet for travel trailers- this is what TT in the part number stands for. It is common in most caravan parks and recreational vehicles in North America. The maximum power rating of this receptacle is 125◊30= 3750 VA.
post the specís on that dyer.
Geo

Old 05-25-20, 07:46 AM
A
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
I would check what kind of cable is feeding this receptacle. If in the laundry area it is likely that it was a 120/240v dryer receptacle that was converted to the TT receptacle so can be converted back.

Old 05-25-20, 08:08 AM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
Did the prior owner have an RV plugged into the house outlet?
You can use Google Earth to look back through old aerial photos of your location to figure out.

I'd check at the breaker to see whether the circuit is a 1-breaker circuit or a 2-breaker circuit.

This wouldn't be the first time that somebody went to the story for "a BG funny looking 3 prong outlet"
and instead of the NEMA-10 clothes dryer

got the TT-30

Old 05-25-20, 08:41 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
Need a model number!!!!

The biggest complaint with 120 volt dryer is that they take forever to dry.
You end up with a quarter of the power out of the heating element.

Old 05-25-20, 10:14 AM
Yes, I believe the previous owner had an RV. There's quite a bit going on in the breaker box but figured I would start with posting these, how would I know if this cabling can handle 220V? I'd probably return it and switch to the gas one instead of doing 120V due to drying times.

Thanks for all the help so far on this!

Old 05-25-20, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
A couple of pluses there.
1) it looks like that box is wired in conduit.
2) it looks like there are four wires there which is what you need.

You can install your new dryer receptacle in that location.
You will need to check the wiring at the panel. That receptacle is not wired correctly.
There should be one hot wire, one neutral and one ground wire.

Currently white is being used as ground.
Currently there is one black wire being used as a white neutral.

It could be that receptacle was just used a 240v generic receptacle possibly for an air compressor or similar.

Old 05-25-20, 10:41 AM
Pete, I owe you a pizza and some beer at this point, you've helped me so many times haha. Okay, I have checked the breakers and it seems that this plug is on it's own breaker in the box up top. No other outlets in the house are using power from those cables or that breaker. Theoretically, I could hire an electrician to come and swap out the breaker (not sure if this would be a big job as there aren't any open spaces in my box) and put a 4 prong outlet on there and voila?

Please excuse all the labeling, not sure what the old homeowner was doing ha

Old 05-25-20, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
I'd love to see a second picture with the panel cover removed.
I think that's the wrong type breaker anyway.
It's a Murray breaker and I don't think it is approved for SQ D Home panels.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-25-20, 01:23 PM
Okay, pulled it all apart. Whoever did this didn't do it the correct way but this is what I have.

Followed the red wires down and it looks like they are tied to the black wires that then run through the conduit to the garage plug.

Old 05-26-20, 07:55 AM
Received 64 Votes on 55 Posts
It's a Murray breaker and I don't think it is approved for SQ D Home panels.
Exactly! Square D Homeline panels are only UL Listed to accept Square D Homeline breakers. Looks to be a couple more Murray tandem breakers in there too, that shouldn't be there. I see a Homeline quad breaker up above so that tells me that Homeline tandems could and should have been used.

Old 05-26-20, 08:34 AM
A
Thinking someone started using the Murray breakers as they have non-CTL versions. That panel may only be designed to take tandems on the top section, not the bottom as the Homlines I can find are listed as 16 space, 24 circuit.

Old 05-26-20, 10:10 AM
Received 64 Votes on 55 Posts
Thinking someone started using the Murray breakers as they have non-CTL versions.
I thought about that too. Some people, sadly some electricians too, will do anything to make something work whether it's right or not.

Old 05-26-20, 02:36 PM
A
Other issues: See red wire on ground/neutral bar? Not enough whites in neutral to handle all of the circuits in panel - something not adding up. NM cable in exterior conduit.

Back to original need:
So OP should be able to get a quad breaker and replace the top two full width ones with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...30CP/100210545 - Pull the top breaker first to verify notch in bus bar that will take a tandem/quad - also look at panel diagram. Then replace TT with a standard 14-30R receptacle. Still need to check dryer requirements.

Old 05-26-20, 03:34 PM
Yeah, when we did our inspection before we bought the house the inspector pointed out many wrongs in this panel that need to get fixed.

So wire wise, I am good to go, the gauge is fine for 240v and 30a (since 30a is already passing through it) and all I need to do is take off the top two breakers, wire the bottom 120V that's currently in there (living room/lights) to the single pole of 20a that is on the quad, and the top one that currently connects the TT30R to the 2-pole 30a; then remove the red wire that is in the neutral ground bar and connect it to the other pole of the 2-pole 30a (giving it two 120V hot wires). That way I am sending two hot wires to the outlet and there is already a white neutral in the outlet as well as a green ground and that should do it?

I've gotten 5 quotes from electricians and each one has been over $300, at that I would just return it and buy a gas dryer. But if I can do this myself (and if above is all there is to it) then I will go get the parts and keep this one! Thanks again for the help here!

Dryer info:
Samsung DV42H5000
States 120/240 volt - 60 HZ AC 30-ampere with three No. 10 copper wire conductors.

Old 05-26-20, 03:45 PM
A
That is a standard dryer. You likely need to purchase a 14-30P cord and plug as the dryer normally doesn't come with one.

Those red wires may not be 10 gauge so be prepared to replace with new.

Old 05-26-20, 04:37 PM
Okay, just picked up the breaker you recommended and the correct 14-30R receptacle. Unfortunately I had to order the dryer cable as I needed 10ft and Home Depot only had 6ft. I have also followed the white wire that feeds into the conduit back at the panel and it connects to the neutral bar as well. This is brilliant and has potentially saved tons of cash on this great deal! Will report back shortly, shutting off the power to the house now. Beyond appreciative of the help here!

Old 05-26-20, 05:19 PM
AND WE HAVE SUCCESS!!!

120V from both black wires, neutral is properly connected and the ground as well. The outlet fit perfectly in the old housing and the breaker slipped right in. I am so beyond grateful for all the help everyone has given me. Truly, saved me a ton of money and have gained much insight and knowledge with all these speedy responses!

Next event will be adding another one to support an electric car that I still need to buy haha.
I Will report back once I receive the dryer cable and connect it all! Thanks again!

Old 05-27-20, 07:44 AM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt Lara
Next event will be adding another one to support an electric car that I still need to buy haha.
That's another benefit - many electric cars CAN use the 14-30 plug with an adapter/extension.
I specifically re-wired the receptacle and plug for my garage 240V / 24A air compressor for future / guest compatibility with an electric car.
A few years ago, there was a tax-credit for adding a electric car charging outlet to a garage (which would have made my air compressor installation a tax-write off; unfortunately, the tax-credit only applied IF you owned an electric car...

Old 05-27-20, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
The orange and yellow cables are for indoor use , dry areas, only