String to pull rope, to pull wire

Old 05-25-20, 06:09 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 45 Posts
String to pull rope, to pull wire

I need to pull string through about 250 ft of conduit so Entergy can pull their rope.... to pull their wire.

I asked several people what kind of "string" I need to use & what size. I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone yet. Just some string they say. All kind of vague answers. Nothing that tells me what I should be using. I asked the guy in electrical in HD today & he said: " I aint no electrician, I dont know. Here's what I give electricians to pull their wire with."
(I didn't ask about pulling wire... I asked about pulling rope. )

I don't know what kind of rope they pull or how heavy it is etc.

All I have handy in 300+ ft of nylon string is some #18. Will that pull their 250+ ft of rope through that much conduit? To me it looks small, but everyone says: "just get some string". I don't have a clue if #18 will pull their rope.

Again, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Old 05-25-20, 06:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Use electrical pulling string. Rated for 200lbs.
pulling string

I get it and use it in 6500' buckets.
Now.... to get it in the pipe. You can use an air compressor or good shop vac. They make a 3" foam pull called a mouse. It gets tied to the string and sent in the pipe. You can blow it thru or draw it out.

I use a basic plastic garbage bag from like Quik Chek. Fold it in half and tie the string in the middle.
I draw that thru using a big shop vac.

Old 05-25-20, 06:40 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
OK great, thanks PJ. I appreciate the advice. I'll pick up some tommorrow.

Old 05-25-20, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I am a fan of the plastic bag and a shop vac as well. I tried using a blower ( not a compressor) and a mouse the other day and did not have any luck.

I also use the string PJ posted.

Old 05-25-20, 07:33 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Thank you Tolyn. Again, much appreciated.

Old 05-26-20, 06:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
In place of the "mouse" I've had good luck tying a foam earplug to the end of kite string. This isn't rocket science. It's string through a tube. Any string can be used. If you choose a less strong string then you might have to use it to pull a stronger string. If you start with a strong string you might be able to go right to pulling wire.

Old 05-26-20, 07:29 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the advice PD......... much appreciated

Old 05-26-20, 05:10 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
I have never done this job but for this distance (250 feet') I would have been tempted to start with 10 or 15 lb. test braided bait casting line (from a sporting goods store) or heavy duty upholstering thread (from a fabrics or hobby store). Spin casting line (monofilament) might also do but that is more difficcult to roll up when done and save for the next job.

Use that thin line to pull the pulling line referred to in the link above. Use the pulling line to pull the power company's rope and the company techs will finish the job pulling the wires..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: