Disconnect flag terminal inside AC motor

Old 05-25-20, 07:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disconnect flag terminal inside AC motor

I'm new to the electrical motor wiring and I'm attempting to assemble a motor to replace an old industrial singer sewing machine. I'm looking for any tips on how to disconnect the red and black terminals from an AC motor to switch the rotation of the motor. It looks as if they are flag terminals and I've attached an image of the motor wiring. I can attempt to pry them off or pull them, but wanted to check with the forum community to make sure I don't break anything!

Thanks,
Dan

Attached Images  
Old 05-26-20, 04:47 AM
Received 154 Votes on 140 Posts
Hi, use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull straight up.
Geo

DanOffenbacker voted this post useful.
Old 05-26-20, 05:01 AM
B
Received 182 Votes on 162 Posts
To change rotation of an induction motor, you have to reverse connections of the start or run winding. Depending on where and how the manufacturer made these connections. it may be impossible to do. Manufacturer and model # would help. If the motor tag has a schematic, provide a picture.

DanOffenbacker voted this post useful.
Old 05-26-20, 09:52 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you both Geo and beelzebob. Geo, that was the exact answer I was looking for, thank you. I had to pull a little hard with the needle nose pliers so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to break anything. Beelezebob, I appreciate the more in depth response. The model can definitely have a reverse connection (attached the wiring diagram).

I have one final question that sort of came about after removing the terminals (when I could see a little bit more). According to the wiring diagram, L1 connects to the red wire (#4). However, as can be seen in the original photo, these are quite far apart and the red is connected to the blue wire (presumably the COM). My question is, is the red wire in the correct position or should it be moved to the metal flange at L1? I've attached another photo for reference. It just seems odd to me to be that far away.

Attached Images   
Old 05-26-20, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
The red and black start winding terminals are connected to terminals 2 and 4.
L1 and L2 are for the incoming power.

L2 and 2 are the same as they are the neutral connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: