Working fan stopped working after maintenance

Old 05-28-20, 04:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Working fan stopped working after maintenance

So I have 2 fans here with similar issues and I searched online on how to repair them and found that those issues can easily be fixed with oiling up the bearings.

So I opened up the motor and did as advised. Both were "working" more or less before the oiling. But after that only one was fixed and now works normally. They are not the same model. The one that stopped working is over 25 years old.

So it completely stopped working and now just makes a buzzing sound and heats up. When it is off the fan spins smoothly by hand but when the power is on, it is jammed and does not turn easily at all. I tried a few things to get it working again but nothing has worked yet.

I am not going to waste too much time on trying to get it working again. Maybe just one day at the most.

Are there tips on what could have happened and what I can do to fix it?

Old 05-28-20, 04:35 PM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Maybe explain what you did during the "oiling"?

Old 05-28-20, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,351 Votes on 1,249 Posts
When it is off the fan spins smoothly by hand but when the power is on, it is jammed and does not turn easily at all.
That is an indication of a worn bearing.

Old 05-29-20, 06:07 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
If all you did was remove the fan blade and motor housing to oil the bearings on the motor, it should still operate unless you accidentally knocked a wire loose. If the motor hums when you apply power ( nothing attached to motor shaft), spin the motor shaft in direction that the fan blade rotates . If it continues to rotate, this indicates an increase of resistance to the starting torque. .It only takes an increase of a few thousands in motor shaft to bearing clearance for the resistance to exceed starting torque. Since starting torque is a function of the electrical construction of the motor, you can't change it. The only things you can do is reduce motor shaft friction be oiling the bearing surfaces. If oiling doesn't fix the issue, its time to retire the fan.

Old 05-29-20, 04:05 PM
J
I discovered today that I had the bearing put back in a wrong way because when I removed the motor the parts just fell out.

I put them back the right way but it still did not work (it just hums). They are not the normal time of bearings. It seems that each fan has different type of bearings.

It seems to be hopeless to get it working again.

Old 05-29-20, 06:43 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
What kind of fan is this- exhaust? table fan? box fan?
Pictures would really help.
Andy

Old 05-30-20, 06:35 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Many of these type motors have sleeve bearings that are line reamed for concentricity. If you rotated either the bearing or the endcap holding the bearing, you most likely have lost the concentricity of the bearing. This can cause binding on the rotor shaft increasing resistance to starting torque. If the bearing separated from the endcap, there are at least 360 possible placements for the bearing. If the endcap bolt holes have symmetry, there is the number of bolt hole possible endcap positions for each bearing position. While this is quite a task, it is doable . Because there is no easy way to measure resistance, you will need to power the motor for each position to see if the motor starts. Good luck.

Old 05-30-20, 08:13 AM
J
I found a link with a similar problem like mine with similar bearings.

It seems that I put the bearing back the wrong way again. I not sure how they are suppose to in place....

Please check the info and let me know. Can you send a pic with correct bearing settings for this model

Please copy the link and paste them in the address bar of a browser. I am not sure why they are redirecting to something else. (If it does not open)

The part for the bearings is not clear...
http://yesyoucanarchie.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-electric-fan.html
The bearings
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yqS2XY7zupw/Tun85akP_fI/AAAAAAAAAYE/OGhkFOdsgGw/s320/131220113185.jpg

Last edited by Johnc00l; 05-30-20 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Issue with the link
Old 06-01-20, 09:55 AM
J
I finally found the correct bearing settings and when I was about to test them a new problem came up and the motor no longer receives power.

So I am going to throw the fan away.

This thread can be closed...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: