Reconnecting an outside grounding wire.

Old 06-02-20, 10:01 PM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
Reconnecting an outside grounding wire.

On an approx 70 year old cabin, outside I need to fix a grounding cable on an 100 amp service. It used to connect to a grounding rod via what i believe was a ring terminal. The terminal was held onto the grounding rod via 3/8" bolt. The wire looks to be 10 or possibly 8 awg stranded. The ring terminal is long gone and I found the wire wrapped around the bolt and screwed down.

What is the best solution? Replace the wire with something newer (what gauge, it's a 6 foot run straight up to the box)? I need to keep the grounding rod setup (and would prefer to use the 3/8 winged bolt connection). I would reconnect the existing wire, however I'm having trouble finding a device I can attach the wire to that also has a 3/8" hole to use the existing hole. I've found copper lugs that I could solder the wire to but none that have the smaller gauge wire size w/a 3/8" hole.

If replacing the wire is best, I would prefer to keep stranded for aesthetics.

Old 06-03-20, 04:30 AM
A
Received 214 Votes on 197 Posts
There are approved clamps that fit around the ground rod without the need to drill or re-use a transverse hole near the top of the rod.

Technically you need a non-stop 6 gauge copper grounding electrode conductor from the rod to the panel. (Approved and not readilly undone splicing aids can be used in the middle of the run or whether a branch of the GEC is desired. For such a branched GEC a larger gauge wire for example #4 might be needed given a water pipe or concrete encased electrode and some service ampacities although the portion going to the rod need never be heaver than #6.)

Old 06-03-20, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
Look for an acorn clamp. .

Old 06-03-20, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,956 Votes on 2,667 Posts
There are others but the acorn clamp is the most rugged and easiest to use.

Name:  acorn.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  43.6 KB

Old 06-03-20, 09:49 PM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
Sound good, I'l also replace the wire w/#6 awg.

So a follow up, the current ground wire enters the service DC through what look like a 1/2 knockout. Currently, there is nothing inserted in the knockout to protect the wire. I usually use a NM push in connector, but that is with NM wire. Since this will be a single #6 wire (coated) can I still use this. It just seems the wire might be too small to anchor completely with something like that, .

Old 06-04-20, 04:05 AM
A
Received 214 Votes on 197 Posts
Go ahead and use a cable clamp of any description to go through the knockout. All it needs to do is protect the ground wire from the sharp edges of the knockout hole.

(My suggestion would be different for current carrying conductors.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: