Adding outlet

Old 06-04-20, 07:10 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding outlet

Based in California, I am adding an outlet, extending from an existing outlet. I have completed and received the permit, and will do all the work myself (lots of industrial experience in electrical from my past )

I obviously need to rough in the romex from the current outlet to the new outlet, observing all code for running the romex, boxes, etc

The outlet I am running the extension *from* is existing. I would normally shut off the power to this for the duration of the work. However, this outlet is on the same circuit as my thermostat, so powering this off means no HVAC (its 100degrees tomorrow here).

I was planning on powering off, running the new romex into the box, leaving the currently connected and insulated (wirenuts) wiring out of the box and visible, but re-power them so that HVAC is working.

Any idea if this will be ok with the city?

Old 06-04-20, 08:43 AM
A
Received 79 Votes on 71 Posts
Most receptacles can not be on the same circuit as an HVAC system. Need more explanation of what you are trying to do.

Old 06-04-20, 08:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As mentioned, the total scope is very simple: Add a new outlet, extending from existing outlet.

The existing outlet is (obviously) typically live, the power feeds to/through that to other outlets in the house. The thermostat (not the HVAC power itself) is on this same circuit -- house was built in '67 and no changes to that since we have owned it (since mid 90's).

Old 06-04-20, 10:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 284 Posts
I assume you're asking because the work is going to be inspected? Usually, for small and renovation-type projects, it's a single final inspection once everything is done and connected. Larger projects involving replacing walls and such will require a rough inspection (boxes and cables), then a final inspection.

If your city is requiring a rough inspection (which seems really odd for one receptacle), yes, your plan of leaving the wires energized and wire-nutted is fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: