Is this a buried service cable?

Old 06-05-20, 04:29 PM
S
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is this a buried service cable?

was digging down to find an old sump pump drain pipe and found the attached pic. this looks like burried electrical service cable. its about 1" diameter??? it is about 5ft deep. it was obviously driven right thorugh the drain pipe. the house was built in 1992 the last in the neighborhood (we've been here 6 years). this is not the service cable to our house, it runs along the back property line. the service to our house runs along the side I had Julie mark it. they did not mark this one.

I can't figure out why this cable would be installed after our house was built. the other house in that direction was built in the 1960s.

Attached Images  
Old 06-05-20, 06:25 PM
L
Received 170 Votes on 146 Posts
They install conduits like that by horizontal boring or moling. So, it is possible that sewer line may have been damaged by the process.

That green pipe is schedule 30 has has much thinner wall than regular PVC drain pipe. It can be punched through relatively easy. However, even schedule 40 will stand no change against boring machine.

Old 06-05-20, 07:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 285 Posts
Could be some kind of telecommunications cable too (phone/cable), or at least the conduit that it's running in.
Can you follow it in the general direction and see where it pops out of the ground? You'll likely see some of that same black/red-stripe conduit a few inches or a foot out of the ground at a telephone pole or maybe one of those green boxes.

If it's power, I wouldn't touch it. If it's telecom, you could probably dig 2-3' in each direction and get a bit of slack to pull it up 2 inches to go over a repair of your pipe.

Old 06-06-20, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 596 Votes on 512 Posts
A simple way to find out would be to call 811 and have them locate all underground utilities. It's free!

If it is electric it would have to be a primary cable as there is only one. (Primary cable is the input side of the transformers. voltages are commonly 7200 or 13800v) Is your neighborhood all underground utilities?

I was going to say it is irrigation but nobody would bury that 5' down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: