Off Set Nipple

Old 06-05-20, 04:42 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Off Set Nipple

I'm laying conduit in ground, then up to a sub panel. Unfortunately, when the guy installed the sub panel, he installed it right above the ground rod.
Since I cant (or really dont want to) dig right up to or around the ground rod to bring the conduit out of the ground, I thought I'd get a off set nipple & bring the conduit out of the ground just out from the ground rod & sub panel, then use the off set nipple to bring the conduit into the sub panel.

The problem is, no one in town stocks this 1-1/4" nipple. But, I can get a off set meter nipple. Its more expensive, & its short. My question is though, can I use this "meter" nipple in place of a standard off set nipple? I am sure you guys know this meter nipple is threaded on one end & a bell on the other end. So, I'd have to put this on my conduit, then straight into the bottom of the sub panel & use a nut thingy to attach & secure it to the sub panel box. Again, I'm sure yall know that but....... can I use it in this scenario? ...... and why should I NOT use it?

(Just for thought, The sub panel is about 30" or so off the ground. I am sure the 1-1/4" conduit will bend/flex enough to get me into the sub panel if need be.)

Old 06-05-20, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Do you have PVC conduit? If so, it can be bent using heat to create your offset.

Old 06-05-20, 06:12 PM
D
Group Moderator
Yes, its schedule 40 PVC.........

Old 06-06-20, 04:58 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, how much offset do you need?
Geo

Old 06-06-20, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Yes, its schedule 40 PVC.........
PVC can be easily bent with a heat gun or a torch. If using a torch make sure to keep it moving to not singe the pipe.

Old 06-06-20, 09:05 AM
D
Group Moderator
Geo, I could probably get away with 1-1/2" - 2". But, the farther I can stay away from the ground rod the better I'd like it. BTW, this is the ground rod for the main panel in the house.

In reality, I know it wont hurt to dig right up to the ground rod cause I suspect its 8' long but, I'd really prefer to stay away from it as much as possible.

I think I'll be fine coming out of the ground, up to the sub 30" or so without brackets/securing it to the house. Its not going to be inspected etc, & we have to use a trimmer in that area anyway. No chance of getting a mower or anything else in that area.

So, I'll get as close as I can & use a heat gun if I need to. It sounds like y'all are not in favor of using the meter nipple. Just FYI, at $4.50 each, cost ain't really a deterrent for me in this situation. I'll only need two if it was ok & easier.

Thanks everybody for your input. I appreciate it.

Old 06-06-20, 06:10 PM
D
Group Moderator
Update...... related rant & a 2nd question.

Well, I got the 3/4" conduit for a single 120V line to the pump laid & connected to the sub panel.... wire pulled & the pump & its light actually worked. Imagine that. After 20 years (since I've done this), I made a light come on from scratch.
I got the conduit close enough that I got it in the sub panel but Its a just a hair crooked. Hey, I got that thing tightened down & it aint comin' out so I'm happy.
Now to get my 1-1/4" line in there.

My rant & question. I now have two 1-1/4" lines to connect to this sub panel. There's only one knock out large enough to accommodate conduit this size on the bottom. There is one on each side that I can use but I am coming out of the ground so its going to be a chore to get #6 wire through a short 90. I guess I could use a regular 90 but I only have 30" from the ground & I have already dug my trench for my conduit.
So, cut another 1-1/4" hole in the bottom some how or somehow come through the side?
Again, I have one knock out in the bottom that will take one, but one is gonna have to go in the side or.... ?????

My inexperience in laying conduit & wire is really trying my patience.

Can I use a hole saw of some sort on the sub panel? Idea? Suggestions?

Old 06-06-20, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Yes, you can drill/cut your own holes as needed in a panel. I use a KO punch but my kit is over $1000 so using a hole saw is fine. You can also come in the side using a conduit like an LB, LL, or LR. They are all available in 1 1/4" and PVC. Whichever is best for you.

Old 06-06-20, 07:11 PM
D
Group Moderator
Excellent! Thanks Tolyn! I used one of those to go into the pump house today & it never crossed my mind to use one on this sub panel.... but then again, inexperience.

I have a hole saw set but I'm not sure if its Bi-Metal or not as I don't usually work with metal like this. I'll look & see in the morning. If not, HD has a Milwaukee set for about $90 with a 1-3/8" in it. I'd rather go in the bottom but, if I need to, I'll get an LB, LL, or LR thingy.

I appreciate your help. I need to get this done & covered up before this tropical storm comes in here Monday.

Old 06-07-20, 04:41 AM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Step drill bit is also a good choice.

When you don't need different sizes of hole saw, home depot also sell them individually.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: