Wiring a General Duty Safety Switch in a shed

Old 06-06-20, 06:05 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a General Duty Safety Switch in a shed

Hi all,

I'm replacing an old 30A fused safety switch with a new one. Here's the new switch. And here's two pics ...

The box:

The inside:

My problem:
This box is for the shed. A wire comes into the shed from the panel in the house; that's been done correctly, as everything was fine with the old box. So the line needs to go into this box and get attached (white wire, black wire, ground). The word "LINE" is stamped at the top of the box, unseen in this pic. I have only one wire, so I'm guessing I use just one side of the box at the top (and use only one fuse)? So ... the black wire to the gold screw and the white wire to the silver screw (on the right side of the box), and the ground to the screw at the back of the box?

Then, there will be two loads: one wire going out to lights and one receptacle; and another wire going out to a second receptacle. Here I'm kinda lost, though. Do I put both whites from the two load wires onto the one white screw at the bottom right, then murette the two blacks, and ground the two bare wires onto the screw as well??

Any help would be hugely appreciated--and, if ever possible, I'll buy you a beer. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-20, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 596 Votes on 512 Posts
The neutral wires (white) will just get connected all together with a wire nut.

The LINE wire will get connected to one side of the switch. The other side will remain unused. The LOAD wires should all be connected together and then add a pigtail which will be connected to the LOAD side of the switch after the fuse.

Note: All wires will need to be properly protected based on the wire size. No more than 15 amps for #14 wire and 20 amps for #12 wire.

LeatherMc voted this post useful.
Old 06-07-20, 05:31 AM
L
Thanks Tolyn! I really appreciate your taking the time to help. A couple of further questions:

1. For the LINE wire ... black wire to gold screw, white wire to silver screw?
2. Do all of the bare ground wires go on the screw at the bottom of the box?
3. I didn't mention this, but probably should. The LINE wire coming into the shed is 14/2 (white, black, ground). I fed that into a junction box and connected it to 12/2 coming out. The electrical guy at Home Depot said that would be fine. Is that so?

I'm inserting a pic that shows what I'm understanding so far:

Does this look okay?

Old 06-07-20, 06:38 AM
Group Moderator
The LINE wire coming into the shed is 14/2 (white, black, ground). I fed that into a junction box and connected it to 12/2 coming out. The electrical guy at Home Depot said that would be fine. Is that so?
That is fine as long as the breaker that is protecting the circuit at the house is a 15 amp breaker/fuse. The fuse you install in the disconnect should also be a 15 amp. It could be a 20 but it won't really do anything as it is larger than the 15 at the house.

I can't really tell for sure which lugs go to where but it appears to me that the middle lug is the load side of the fuse. I have made a diagram based on this. The white wires should all just be connected together. The ground screw can only have one wire on it so wrap one wire around it and then connect all grounds using a wirenut.

One thing I can't tell is the bottom lugs. They appear to be connected together by a common bar. They might be lugs for terminating neutrals but they do not need to be used if they are.

Attached Images  
LeatherMc voted this post useful.
Old 06-07-20, 12:14 PM
L
This is just awesome, Tolyn, I can't thank you enough. If you're ever in the Nova Scotia countryside, I'm buying.

Old 06-07-20, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
If you're ever in the Nova Scotia countryside, I'm buying.
Sounds like a plan.

Old 06-07-20, 05:33 PM
L
Quick update ... it's working like a charm, thanks again!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: