Junction box For Electric Cooktop

Old 06-06-20, 08:23 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Junction box For Electric Cooktop

Hello
We are installing cabinets currently. We are also putting in an electrical cooktop. The junction box in the wall has a 6/3 wire for 50A service.

The question I have is what to do about the gap between the back of my cabinet and the wall. The cabinet back is 3.5" from the wall. Picture attached. I do have enough wire in the junction box in the wall to span that. I doubt just running the wire to another jbox mounted in the cabinet is the right thing to do. Could I do that with conduit? Flexible or stiff? Or should I look for a different box?

Any help would be appreciated!
thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-20, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,174 Votes on 1,089 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can't cut a hole in the cabinet back and bring the wires thru. All splices must be contained withing an approved junction box. Typically what's done in your case is the box is removed from the wall and remounted in the cabinet back. You may need a different junction box to do that.

Old 06-07-20, 05:37 AM
L
Received 83 Votes on 72 Posts
Easiest way would be cutting a large access hole. That way you can access junction box.
You can cover the hole with a thin plywood (1/4" or 5mm underlayment) with screws. That way the junction box is accessible.

You can extend wire to bring junction box inside cabinet, but you still need original junction box accessible.