short-circuit flash


  #1  
Old 06-07-20, 08:37 PM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
short-circuit flash

I wanted to replace the wall outlet, did something really stupid, and caused a short-circuit by accidentally making black wire touch white wire via a voltage detector pen. It was just in front of me and caused a loud bang and spark. I do not have any visible injuries. I am just shocked as I was not expecting the noise and flash. Should I visit an eye doctor? Or is 120v short-circuit spark harmless?
 
  #2  
Old 06-08-20, 02:37 AM
A
Member
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 818
Received 104 Votes on 86 Posts
We are not doctors and we do not know you present health condition and how this may have affected you in any way.

Why didn't you shut off the circuit breaker prior to working on the receptacle? That was the first thing you should have done.

Anything involving electricity can be dangerous and even deadly at times - even at 120volts. Remember it takes less than one amp to kill a person under the right conditions.
 
  #3  
Old 06-08-20, 05:09 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,967
Received 597 Votes on 512 Posts
Should I visit an eye doctor? Or is 120v short-circuit spark harmless?
I would not say its "harmless" as a short like that will cause molten metal flying around, but, it is really no different than looking at the sun for a split-second. It is very unlikely there was any permanent damage to your eyes unless you are having a hard time seeing.

Just follow AFJES advice and turn the circuit off before doing any electrical work.
 
  #4  
Old 06-08-20, 05:42 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 11,422
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
Again as AFJES sated we are not doctors. But the flash you saw most likely did no permanent damage. Not too different than when the eye doctor shine that really bright light into your eyes to examine you. Very irritating but not harmful.
Looking into the sun can burn the retina in the eye and that's because of UV rays. I don't think a direct short circuit flash will produce UV rays.
 

Last edited by Norm201; 06-08-20 at 06:03 AM.
  #5  
Old 06-08-20, 05:57 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 14,967
Received 597 Votes on 512 Posts
I don't think a direct short circuit flash will produce UV rays.
Actually it does. It is the same type of arc/flash that is produced when welding.
 
CasualJoe voted this post useful.
  #6  
Old 06-08-20, 06:03 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 11,422
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
Yes you're correct. Didn't think about that. And I just bought a mig welder. And of course a welding helmet. I crossed out the error in my previous post.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: