Square D box fed by a 10/3 Electrical Extension cord

Old 06-08-20, 10:37 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Square D box fed by a 10/3 Electrical Extension cord

I'm building a small 16x20 remote cabin in Alaska and have a plan in mind to use a two slot square D box and a 10/3 electrical extension cord as the input power to the box. My plan is to cut off the female end of extension cord and run it into the box - using the two hot wires as power lead to two - 20 amp circuit breakers. One breaker will power all electrical outlets (10 are installed) and the other 20 amp breaker to run 9 recessed LED lights and two 4 foot LED shop lights. The male end of the extension cord will plug directly into a 4200watt inverter generator about 20 feet from cabin. I don't plan to have all the outlets in use simultaneously nor all the lights on at once but want the flexibility to plug in small appliance when needed. I'm trying to keep costs down and not mess with RV type 30 amp plugs or receptacles and I figured the extension cord would be simplest and cheapest fix. Am I on track with this idea or would I have to clip one of the incoming hot wires on the 10/3 cable and then run a jumper cable between the two circuit breakers? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Popular Reply

06-09-20, 04:10 AM
pcboss
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Flexible cord is not a substitute for building wiring. I would suggest a generator inlet mounted outside so you can connect the generator. Use a 10-4 cord and you will not need to jumper the lugs in the panel.

Old 06-09-20, 04:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Flexible cord is not a substitute for building wiring. I would suggest a generator inlet mounted outside so you can connect the generator. Use a 10-4 cord and you will not need to jumper the lugs in the panel.

CasualJoe, joed voted this post useful.
Old 06-09-20, 06:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
You are also limited by the generator receptacle. What is the output of the receptacle you plan to use?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: