Help with wiring for ceiling fan.

Old 06-09-20, 10:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring for ceiling fan.

Hi I'm having trouble wiring a new ceiling fan. The wiring coming from my ceiling does not match the instructions nor anything I have found on the internet. From my ceiling I have 2 wire bundles each with a black wire, a tan wire(I assume that would equal the white wire?), and a bare copper wire. There is a dual switch on the wall. The ceiling fan comes with a black, a blue, white, and green. I became very frustrated last night trying to wire it so I could use the light switch and fan switch on the wall. I finally gave up and capped off one of the wire bundles and wired the fan as if there was only one switch. It works fine but I have to use the pull chains to operate fan and light.
If I uncap the unused black wire and connect it to the blue from the fan then uncap the unused white(tan) wire and connect it to the other 2 white wires will that work or will I burn my house down? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Old 06-09-20, 12:28 PM
J
Received 442 Votes on 367 Posts
We need to know what you have at the switches.

Old 06-09-20, 01:51 PM
M
I have attached a couple of pics of the switches. Hope that helps.

Attached Images   
Old 06-09-20, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
What were the splices at the ceiling? Was there a fixture there before?

Old 06-09-20, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,982 Votes on 2,690 Posts
Are you sure both switches control that location ?

Based on your description...... you have two wire w/gr. cable for power at the fan and a two wire w/gr. cable that is the switch loop. That would mean that only one switch controls the fan/light.

In order for us to decode wiring at switches..... it must be very clear.
Those pictures are too small and not enough detail can be seen in them.

Old 06-09-20, 07:55 PM
M
There was a ceiling fan there before that quit working. This is the replacement. I assumed one of the two wire w/gr. cable from the ceiling controlled the light and the other the fan. I guess my problem is that I just really don't know enough about what I'm doing. This picture might not help at all but it is a little bigger. I'm thinking I might better just leave well enough alone. Thanks very much for bearing with me.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: