Plug Load Controller?

Old 06-12-20, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plug Load Controller?

I have a 2600 sq ft old home that was rewired 10 years ago. My electric bill is high and a neighbor suggests I install a Plug Load Controller. Never heard of this and can't find a decent definition! Please educate me! What is it? What does it actually do? And do I need it? And is it recommended?
Many Thanks Brothers and Sisters!

Bronx Joe

Old 06-12-20, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Plug Load Controller
There used to be a module you plugged into the wall and then plugged a high current appliance like a fridge, A/C, washer, gas dryer, etc. and it was supposed to equalize the load and save money. I had several of them. I never really checked into the actual savings but I doubt it was very much.

Unfortunately we hear all the time that a members electric bill is high. Mine is high too. The rates are certainly not going down. Most power companies show your usage for the last year. That's a great way to see if your usage has risen.

Old 06-12-20, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much for your response, but I'm hoping for a more detailed answer! Hopeful
another forum member can offer an answer? Thanks again!

Old 06-13-20, 12:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
There are modules available that are remotely controlled. Everything now is electronic. Everything electronic uses power 24 hours a day. Things like TV's, coffee makers, printers, cable boxes, chargers...... basically anything that sleeps. Anything that has an LED on it that's on when the device is turned off. A plug load control can disconnect power from selected receptacles/loads.

I'd imagine you could save a few dollars a month by shutting everything off. The only problem is when power is removed from certain devices.... the memory is lost when it turns back on or you need to wait for a reboot.

Plug load controls

Old 06-13-20, 07:03 AM
Received 289 Votes on 259 Posts
I have to agree with PJ. Any money you spend on a plug load control will not be offset by any savings in power usage, If there is any "problem" it's most likely in the meter and those very seldom are faulty. As stated shut off or unplug everything except basic heat and lighting.

Old 06-13-20, 07:56 AM
A
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
If you are concerned about your electric bill you can micro manage your usage by monitoring. https://sense.com/

Old 06-13-20, 08:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
If you want to monitor usage around the home you can buy a Kill-A-Watt or similar. You plug devices in and it displays and records the energy usage.

Old 06-15-20, 11:04 AM
D
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Your bill is high based on what? Google says that your house should use between 1000 and 2000 kwh a month.
Your location will have a LOT to do with the amount consumed.
You need to start with the basics. Get 3 months bills and look at the KWH used each month. Comparing month to month is not a good idea. Compare month to last year same month.
Next inventory all of your lamps, do you have a lot of Halogen or incandescent lamps? Can these be changed to LED's. Are lights left on when no one is home or in the area?
What is your water heater? When was the last time it was cleaned/replaced? Do the residents take long showers?
How often do you run the dishwasher? Do you turn on the heater in the dishwasher? I do not. Air dry only.

There are NO magic devices that will lower your monthly bill, only move your cash to someone else's pocket.
Capacitors generally are not going to help much, 1-2% if at all.
Anything you plug in to save energy is a joke, dimmers do not save energy. They lower the amount of voltage to the lamp and burn up the difference in heat. Net result same amount of power consumed.
They only way to lower your bill is to turn off/reduce operation of devices.
I have 2 incandescence lamps in my home, one in the oven and one in the microwave everything else is LED.

Lastly I have been in the electrical industry for more than 50 years. I have seen 2 bad electric meters. So the odds of your meter being wrong is low. The utilities have to meet specs and accuracy requirements. You can always ask the utility to put a recorder on your home and verify the meter.
If you do find the magic device I want to know so I can test it.

Old 06-16-20, 12:16 PM
Received 97 Votes on 87 Posts
My electric bill is high
Don't use so much and your bill will go down! Consider replacing old inefficient appliances, furnace and air conditioner to Energy Star rated appliances and upgrading lighting to LEDs. Read your meter every morning and limit your usage to under 10 KHWs per day and your bill will go down.

Old 06-16-20, 02:33 PM
A
Received 48 Votes on 43 Posts
Also consider getting an energy audit. Some utilities will even do it for free.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: